Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Brick a fireplace

Hi guys. I'm not 100% sure this is in the right group, but here goes.

I am remodeling my house (before getting married this fall) and want to
install brick around my fireplace and install gas logs. I got a quote
from a local mason and he wants $500 to brick the fireplace (I already
have the bricks, and it's a rather small fireplace I might add). Does
this sound like a fair price (I live in the southeast), but more
importantly. How difficult is it to lay (or install... I dont know the
terminology) brick. I'm a DIY guy, and would love to give it a try,
but I don't want to bite off more than I can handle. Any input would
be great!

-Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard Thoms

wrote:
Hi guys. I'm not 100% sure this is in the right group, but here goes.

I am remodeling my house (before getting married this fall) and want to
install brick around my fireplace and install gas logs. I got a quote
from a local mason and he wants $500 to brick the fireplace (I already
have the bricks, and it's a rather small fireplace I might add). Does
this sound like a fair price (I live in the southeast), but more
importantly. How difficult is it to lay (or install... I dont know the
terminology) brick. I'm a DIY guy, and would love to give it a try,
but I don't want to bite off more than I can handle. Any input would
be great!

The price sounds reasonable.

I would not try DIY if it is inside and something people will see often
and up close. I did a few brick columns for my fence a few years ago.
Those are outside and aren't subject to close-up scrutiny (good thing!).
Actually each one got better but it was embarrassing that I was taking
over a day to make three little posts (about one cube of bricks total)
and across the street some "real" masons were laying a whole wall of a
house in less time!

-Richard

P.S. Are you remodeling before you get married to make for a better
place for your spouse, or because you may not be in control after
marriage? ;-)

Richard Thoms
President - Top Service Pros, Inc.
Connecting Homeowners and Local Home Service Professionals
Homeowners, Find a Top Service Pro --
http://www.TopServicePros.com
Service Pros, Get Listed on the Web - http://www.TopServicePros.com
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi guys. I'm not 100% sure this is in the right group, but here goes.

Does
this sound like a fair price (I live in the southeast), but more
importantly. How difficult is it to lay (or install... I dont know the
terminology) brick.

Price sound fair.

As for DIY, it is not so much difficult, but a skill that can take time to
muster. Just like a Rembrandt painting is just a collection of brush
strokes that anyone can do. I know "how" to lay brick, but getting the
hands to do what the brains knows to be done does not always work. When you
look at a multi-story brick building that is perfectly plumb and level, you
have to admire the skill involved.

Fireplace brick insert smashed, cost to fix? Al Franz Home Repair 4 June 24th 06 01:56 PM
applying marble or granite over brick fireplace hoops Home Repair 0 April 15th 06 07:38 PM
painting a brick fireplace J.B. Bobbitt Home Repair 10 November 19th 04 02:57 AM
Exposed Brick Fireplace Richard UK diy 3 September 5th 04 10:04 PM
mortar for tiling over brick fireplace? telus Home Repair 3 August 26th 04 03:55 PM