Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Franz

Default Fireplace brick insert smashed, cost to fix?

Have a gas fireplace that the back wall has the brick smashed pretty good
and has about a 2" x 6" hole in it. What type of cost should I expect to
fix something like this? Can just a part of the back wall be replaced or
does it require a whole new fireplace insert?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Franz wrote:
Have a gas fireplace that the back wall has the brick smashed pretty good
and has about a 2" x 6" hole in it. What type of cost should I expect to
fix something like this? Can just a part of the back wall be replaced or
does it require a whole new fireplace insert?

curious how did it get smashed?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CDET 14

Al Franz wrote:
Have a gas fireplace that the back wall has the brick smashed pretty good
and has about a 2" x 6" hole in it. What type of cost should I expect to
fix something like this? Can just a part of the back wall be replaced or
does it require a whole new fireplace insert?

When you refer to the insert, what brand and model number is it? Many
times this can be found around the outside or just inside the lip of
the opening. Info will be on a plate riveted to the frame. If inside,
you will need a flashlight, rag, and good eyes to harvest the
information.
Repairs might be as simple as buying a replacement backwall and
installing it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Franz

Not sure was damaged by a previous owner. Actually it is the "firebox" that
is damaged. Will have to find out more information.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Al Franz wrote:
Have a gas fireplace that the back wall has the brick smashed pretty good
and has about a 2" x 6" hole in it. What type of cost should I expect to
fix something like this? Can just a part of the back wall be replaced or
does it require a whole new fireplace insert?

curious how did it get smashed?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmie D

"Al Franz" wrote in message
Have a gas fireplace that the back wall has the brick smashed pretty good
and has about a 2" x 6" hole in it. What type of cost should I expect to
fix something like this? Can just a part of the back wall be replaced or
does it require a whole new fireplace insert?

It shouldnt be too much trouble. Sounds like all you need to do is replace a
few brick. When my gas insert was installed the brick was damaged when the
hole for the gas pipe was made. Apparently this happens all the time because
the guys that installed it had fire bricks and refactory mortar mix with
them. I get the feeling this is not exactly what you are talking about.