Richard

Default Exposed Brick Fireplace

Hi

I've ripped out an old 70's fireplace to reveal the original Victorian
opening. There is an infill of bricks which brick up the top half of
the arch making the opening square which I plan on leaving in place. I
want to cover the exposed brickwork inside the chimney breast with
something. I've tried cleaning up the bricks using acid but some are
damaged and would need to be chopped out, the cleaner wasnt that
effective either. What and how would I go about lining the old
brickwork. There isn't enough room to lay another course of newer
bricks. Any ideas, thoughts or comments?

Thanks!

Richard
N. Thornton

Kalico wrote in message . ..
On 31 Aug 2004 07:27:47 -0700,
(Richard) wrote:

Hi

I've ripped out an old 70's fireplace to reveal the original Victorian
opening. There is an infill of bricks which brick up the top half of
the arch making the opening square which I plan on leaving in place. I
want to cover the exposed brickwork inside the chimney breast with
something. I've tried cleaning up the bricks using acid but some are
damaged and would need to be chopped out, the cleaner wasnt that
effective either. What and how would I go about lining the old
brickwork. There isn't enough room to lay another course of newer
bricks. Any ideas, thoughts or comments?

http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...orum.pl?page=1

If you are going to put a stove or similar in there then I would skim
with a sand and cement mix.

When I've done this in the past I've always put a water repellent in
the mix.

I suppose you could also plaster it out or even board it then skim.

If you really want to see the brickwork, then you'd also be suprised
how much better they will look if just painted, even with the damaged
bricks. After cleaning with acid and re-pointing, use a good oil
based undercoat or concrete floor paint to adhere to the surface. It
can look very effective.

I wouldnt.