Posted to alt.home.repair
dk

Default Garage is hot

My garage is extremely hot. Our car's heat after running make the
situation even worse. I have wooden doors and was considering replacing
them with some sort of insulated doors or would placing some sort of
exhaust fan work better??

TIA
Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

If the garage gets the afternoon setting sun, nothing much will probably
help. I have insulated doors but it still gets pretty hot in hot weather.
I don't think engine he affects it much though.

"dk" wrote in message
My garage is extremely hot. Our car's heat after running make the
situation even worse. I have wooden doors and was considering replacing
them with some sort of insulated doors or would placing some sort of
exhaust fan work better??

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

dk wrote:
My garage is extremely hot. Our car's heat after running make the
situation even worse. I have wooden doors and was considering replacing
them with some sort of insulated doors or would placing some sort of
exhaust fan work better??

TIA

Insulated doors would reduce conduction of heat, and might even bring
you into compliance with fire-code . Ventilation would help, if it
means bringing in cooler air to replace warmer. Depending on just how
hot it is, a packaged attic ventilator fan with t-stat might work;
you'd need adequate in- and out-flow areas to suit fan, of course. Your
local building inspector could give you info as to what would be
acceptable in your city/town.

Also, insulating the garage exterior might help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John H.

"dk" wrote in message
My garage is extremely hot. Our car's heat after running make the
situation even worse. I have wooden doors and was considering replacing
them with some sort of insulated doors or would placing some sort of
exhaust fan work better??

TIA

DK,
I found this website about ventilating spaces.
http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/whyVent/whyVent.shtml

For the most part, it says to install soffit vents (vents under you eeaves)
then you can install a fan to place over your gabled
vent. If you dont put in the proper vents, you dont get good exchange
throughout your garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:20:45 -0400, dk wrote:

My garage is extremely hot. Our car's heat after running make the
situation even worse. I have wooden doors and was considering replacing

I suppose you could let the car cool off before you put it in the
garage.

Not that I'm sure how big a factor this is.

them with some sort of insulated doors or would placing some sort of
exhaust fan work better??

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

My garage is extremely hot. Our car's heat after running make the
situation even worse. I have wooden doors and was considering replacing
them with some sort of insulated doors or would placing some sort of
exhaust fan work better??

Attached ? Finished ceiling ? Put in a couple of top hung "push out
style" windows on opposite walls.
Detached ? Open ceiling ? Go with vents up in the peak(s) and a window.

A friend has a CMU home/dbl. garage in Tucson with no side door or windows.
It sure is DARK and the temp in there gets up above 130 oF in Summer ! Not
the way I'd build it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"dk" wrote in message
My garage is extremely hot. Our car's heat after running make the
situation even worse. I have wooden doors and was considering replacing
them with some sort of insulated doors or would placing some sort of
exhaust fan work better??

Insulated doors keep heat in. They are good for an attached garage to
retain heat in winter, or for a detached if you want to sometimes run a
heater to work out there.

To remove heat, vents or windows is best. Not knowing the construction, I
can't say exactly what to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:20:45 -0400, dk wrote:

My garage is extremely hot. Our car's heat after running make the
situation even worse. I have wooden doors and was considering replacing
them with some sort of insulated doors or would placing some sort of
exhaust fan work better??

TIA

A fan will work well provided there is some kind of cross-ventilation.
I installed a house fan in my garage ceiling, wired to a wall timer
switch. I open the side door which has a screen door and turn on the
fan. This moves the hot air out of the garage plus cools the attic
space. Works great. I doubt an insulated will do much, plus it won't
take out typical toxic garage fumes. Consider planting a shade tree
on the south or west side of your garage.
Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:20:45 -0400, dk wrote:

My garage is extremely hot. Our car's heat after running make the
situation even worse. I have wooden doors and was considering replacing
them with some sort of insulated doors or would placing some sort of
exhaust fan work better??

Newsflash: there's more than one way to make a garage. Does it
have a roof? Is it in a cave? Under a skyscraper? Under second
floor finished bedrooms?

If it has an unfinished roof, as is the case with many garages, install
a temperature controlled attic fan.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob G.

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:58:29 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 09:20:45 -0400, dk wrote:

My garage is extremely hot. Our car's heat after running make the
situation even worse. I have wooden doors and was considering replacing

I suppose you could let the car cool off before you put it in the
garage.

Not that I'm sure how big a factor this is.

them with some sort of insulated doors or would placing some sort of
exhaust fan work better??

TIA

Engine heat is really not much of a problem... the only car related
heat problems I ever encountered was from the tires "melting" or
softening the vinyl floor tiles...

One of my garages has neither heat nor a/c...and its really not that
hot inside with a window open on both sides and a simple window fan
sucking air thru the garage..plus a thermostat controlled fan in the
rafters...

Bob G.