Posted to alt.home.repair
Airkings

Default Mower trouble?

Hello all,

I could use some advice. I was checking the blade on my newer Toro push
mower , Model 20053, and had it tilted on it's side. There was no gas in the
tank, but it had full oil. While it was on it's side (air filter up), I
rotated the blade 180 degrees to check the other cutting edge. I heard a
"gloop gloop", and promptly tilted it upright again.

When I started the mower, it was kicking out white smoke. I think some fluid
got into a chamber it wasn't supposed to be in. However, I don't know what
and where.

Can anyone tell me what happened? And what should I do now? If no one knows
for sure, I plan to change everything down to the spark plug.

Thanks in advance!

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

According to Airkings :
Hello all,

I could use some advice. I was checking the blade on my newer Toro push
mower , Model 20053, and had it tilted on it's side. There was no gas in the
tank, but it had full oil. While it was on it's side (air filter up), I
rotated the blade 180 degrees to check the other cutting edge. I heard a
"gloop gloop", and promptly tilted it upright again.

When I started the mower, it was kicking out white smoke. I think some fluid
got into a chamber it wasn't supposed to be in. However, I don't know what
and where.

Can anyone tell me what happened? And what should I do now? If no one knows
for sure, I plan to change everything down to the spark plug.

The gloop gloop is probably oil. It's remotely possible that you got
some oil into the carb or cylinder head. Generally speaking, there
is no direct path between the crank case and the cylinder head,
carburetor or muffler. The only oil getting to the top of the
engine is that which seeps past the piston rings, or bypasses
the valve seals.

But you say that the smoke is white. Oil would probably be black
smoke, unless it got into the muffler, and the muffler isn't hot yet.

More likely I think is you have a little water in the gas tank,
carburetor cup, or sedimentation cup (if the motor has one). By
tilting the mower, you caused a bubble of water to get into the carb,
and the white smoke is steam.

If the motor seems to run okay, running it for a few minutes
should clear it. But before starting it again, make sure that
the mower has enough oil. If the carb cup has a drain, drain
the cup first and let it refill. Clean out the sedimentation
cup if it has one.

If you see any water, for future prevention of a repeat, it'd
probably be a good idea to completely siphon out the gas tank,
let it settle, and then carefully pour it back in leaving any
gunk/water behind. Or discard it.

[In car engines, white smoke is often water in the oil.
But that's almost never a problem with air cooled engines.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

The oil can get to the carb via the crankcase vent tube. Just run it and
make sure the oil is still full. you may have to clean the plug if it
fouls. Water will not make smoke.

--
Steve Barker

"Airkings" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello all,

I could use some advice. I was checking the blade on my newer Toro push
mower , Model 20053, and had it tilted on it's side. There was no gas in
the tank, but it had full oil. While it was on it's side (air filter up),
I rotated the blade 180 degrees to check the other cutting edge. I heard a
"gloop gloop", and promptly tilted it upright again.

When I started the mower, it was kicking out white smoke. I think some
fluid got into a chamber it wasn't supposed to be in. However, I don't
know what and where.

Can anyone tell me what happened? And what should I do now? If no one
knows for sure, I plan to change everything down to the spark plug.

Thanks in advance!

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

"Airkings" wrote in message ink.net...
Hello all,

I could use some advice. I was checking the blade on my newer Toro push
mower , Model 20053, and had it tilted on it's side. There was no gas in the
tank, but it had full oil. While it was on it's side (air filter up), I
rotated the blade 180 degrees to check the other cutting edge. I heard a
"gloop gloop", and promptly tilted it upright again.

When I started the mower, it was kicking out white smoke. I think some fluid
got into a chamber it wasn't supposed to be in. However, I don't know what
and where.

Can anyone tell me what happened? And what should I do now? If no one knows
for sure, I plan to change everything down to the spark plug.

It's oil burning. It will burn off. You might want to check the air filter. It could be soaked
and need cleaning or replacement.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Lawrence

This is quite common actually. When you tip these motors the base oil can
run into the top of the engine via the crank case vent. Make sure your oil
level is as it should be, then run it. The white smoke will stop when the
excess oil has been burned off. There should be no ill efffects.
If you must turn it on its side, turn it to the side away from the crank
vent and carb. side. Dont tip it all the way to the side . Just enough to
peer under for whatever. If you find it necessay to turn it a a large
amount, drain the oil and gas first.
"Airkings" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello all,

I could use some advice. I was checking the blade on my newer Toro push
mower , Model 20053, and had it tilted on it's side. There was no gas in
the tank, but it had full oil. While it was on it's side (air filter up),
I rotated the blade 180 degrees to check the other cutting edge. I heard a
"gloop gloop", and promptly tilted it upright again.

When I started the mower, it was kicking out white smoke. I think some
fluid got into a chamber it wasn't supposed to be in. However, I don't
know what and where.

Can anyone tell me what happened? And what should I do now? If no one
knows for sure, I plan to change everything down to the spark plug.

Thanks in advance!

--
Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair
Airkings

You've all been very helpful, thanks!

"Airkings" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello all,

I could use some advice. I was checking the blade on my newer Toro push
mower , Model 20053, and had it tilted on it's side. There was no gas in
the tank, but it had full oil. While it was on it's side (air filter up),
I rotated the blade 180 degrees to check the other cutting edge. I heard a
"gloop gloop", and promptly tilted it upright again.

When I started the mower, it was kicking out white smoke. I think some
fluid got into a chamber it wasn't supposed to be in. However, I don't
know what and where.

Can anyone tell me what happened? And what should I do now? If no one
knows for sure, I plan to change everything down to the spark plug.

Thanks in advance!

--
Dave

Lawnboy Mower Vibration bill Home Repair 7 May 31st 06 12:06 AM
Does anyone make a trouble free trouble light? Ulysses Home Repair 4 August 18th 05 07:04 PM
Craftsman Lawn Mower Problems dejablues Home Repair 1 July 8th 05 01:56 AM
Lawmower fire m Ransley Home Repair 4 April 27th 05 04:09 AM
Diagnosis of phone line trouble - alarm system? orangetrader Home Repair 6 September 7th 04 09:10 PM