Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default leaky valve for icemaker feed tap.

Finally figured out why water was dripping from my new duct run. I put a
section of the Sunday paper on top, and there is an ultra-slow drip on the
top of the duct, hitting just right to travel along a seam, and around the
the joint with the next section, and drip down from the bottom of that like
it was from inside the duct.

Apparently, when hanging the duct, they banged into the vampire tap on the
water pipe where the feed line to the icemaker comes off. Since they buried
the whole thing, I can't actually see it via eyeball, I was looking with my
fingertips, and it is ever-so-slightly wet at the tap.

Can these junk screw-in taps be safely tightened or resealed? To keep
warranty on the HVAC install, I'll have to have them come drop the duct to
get to it. Or should I gently offer to the company that I will pay for the
parts for a proper Tee and reducer to be sweated in, if they install it, or
hire somebody. (No, their license doesn't cover general plumbing, but for a
****ant thing like this, I'm sure their in-house guy can handle it.) Company
is already having to eat the cost of patching carpet where they made an
oopsie, so they are eager to get rid of me.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

ameijers wrote:
[...]

drop the duct patch the pipe and relocate valve to a accesible
location. saddle valves work good and they can be tightened but i
wouldnt trust that where you cant reach it. someday the line might
burst and you will need fast access

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 4 Jun 2006 17:45:53 -0700, "
wrote:

ameijers wrote:
[...]

Especially, for other readers of this thread, if someone uses
polypropylene and not copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On 4 Jun 2006 17:45:53 -0700, "
wrote:

ameijers wrote:
[...]

Copper lines can CRACK if bent shapely which can occur pushing a fridge
back....

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 5 Jun 2006 06:10:04 -0700, "
wrote:

mm wrote:
On 4 Jun 2006 17:45:53 -0700, "
wrote:

ameijers wrote:
[...]

So what would one use? The plastic provided cracks too if bent
sharply, not rigtht away but later, when one is not even home.

I was at a party once, in the basement, when someone's fridge upstairs
sprang a leak. We noticed it when it dripped on the floor.