Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Thermostat Question

Just bought a home with a bonus room upstairs - split unit AC.
Thermostat on the first floor was a 2 stage totaline P474-0100 and
upstairs was a single stage manual robertshaw CM200.

I bought two Honeywell 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat's to replace
both. Replacing the bonus room went well. When I replaced the
totaline the unit would not engage (nor the fan). All contacts were
solid

The bonus room was a four wire (no Rc, just Rh). The first floor had a
five wire and the totaline marked it "C" - matching it up to Rc on the
honeywell (I also removed the Rh/Rc jumper). Everything appeared to be
wired up correctly.

First - the Honeywell YRTH230B1009 stated - "For single stage heating
and cooling or millivolt systems" - so from what I read I took a step
back from the 2 stage totaline moving to the single stage honeywell.

Second - was there a reason why there was a 4wire single stage in the
bonus room vs the 5 wire 2 stage on the first floor - would it cause
the problems when I installed the second honeywell?

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Terminals RH and W are for heating and not used for air only. The four wire
system should work fine with that stat, but it sounds like doesn't have two
stage capability, so it's the wrong stat for the other unit

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM (remove this) wrote:
Terminals RH and W are for heating and not used for air only. The four wire
system should work fine with that stat, but it sounds like doesn't have two
stage capability, so it's the wrong stat for the other unit

Four wire originally wired - RH, W, Y & G and I matched it on the
honeywell (RH/RC had a jumper)
Five wire - RH, W, Y, G & C - matched it on the honeywill except I
moved C to RC on the honeywell (removing the RH/RC jumper)

So the totaline is the wrong one for my system? It's a single unit -
how can I tell?

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

If all the listed terminals had wires on them, it would appear that this
unit does heat as well, correct? It has one transformer that powers both
heat and cool, hence the rh-rc jumpers. I'm not seeing two stages though.
The five wire, you need the rh-rc jumper reinstalled, but may not need the
"c" for the new stat

wrote in message
oups.com...

RBM (remove this) wrote:
Terminals RH and W are for heating and not used for air only. The four
wire
system should work fine with that stat, but it sounds like doesn't have
two
stage capability, so it's the wrong stat for the other unit

Four wire originally wired - RH, W, Y & G and I matched it on the
honeywell (RH/RC had a jumper)
Five wire - RH, W, Y, G & C - matched it on the honeywill except I
moved C to RC on the honeywell (removing the RH/RC jumper)

So the totaline is the wrong one for my system? It's a single unit -
how can I tell?

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM (remove this) wrote:
If all the listed terminals had wires on them, it would appear that this
unit does heat as well, correct? It has one transformer that powers both
heat and cool, hence the rh-rc jumpers. I'm not seeing two stages though.
The five wire, you need the rh-rc jumper reinstalled, but may not need the
"c" for the new stat

makes sense - thanks for the reponse!!!..