Martin Lynch

Default Thermostat question

I'm curious.

For a house with central air, is the thermometer located in the same
module as the control switches?

So if the control thingy is located in let's say the kitchen, and you
turn your AC to run auto at 70 degrees, and the kitchen is 80 degrees
while all the other rooms are 65 degrees, the AC will keep running
anyways?
PrecisionMachinisT

"Martin Lynch" wrote in message
om...

I'm curious.

Me too, learnt a buttload a bout all kinda things cause of it....

For a house with central air, is the thermometer located in the same
module as the control switches?

Yes, usually theres some kind of indicator of current temp as well as a
target setpoint for system controls switching on all but the most basic of
thermostats.

So if the control thingy is located in let's say the kitchen, and you
turn your AC to run auto at 70 degrees, and the kitchen is 80 degrees
while all the other rooms are 65 degrees, the AC will keep running
anyways?

Yup.........

And its called a "thermostat".........

The temperature where its located will control the entire system, regardless
of the temprature in other areas, so long as its only a single thermostat
connected.

--

SVL

m Ransley

A kitchen is not a good place for a thermostat

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Martin Lynch" wrote in message
om...
I'm curious.

For a house with central air, is the thermometer located in the same
module as the control switches?

HUH?

I guess if you mean, is the part that registers temp, located in the
thermostat, the answer is yes.

So if the control thingy is located in let's say the kitchen, and you
turn your AC to run auto at 70 degrees, and the kitchen is 80 degrees
while all the other rooms are 65 degrees, the AC will keep running
anyways?

Yes. Unless of course, the system is zoned, or you have a remote sensor that
will over-ride the thermostat.
If its zoned, you will prob have remotes anyway..or should....but most of
the time, the thermostat is located near a return, and NOT in the kitchen,
or bathroom.

PrecisionMachinisT

"m Ransley" wrote in message

A kitchen is not a good place for a thermostat

That was pretty much my point.

--

SVL

royroy

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:29:07 -0400, "Steve@carolinabreezehvac"
wrote:

Yes. Unless of course, the system is zoned, or you have a remote sensor that
will over-ride the thermostat.
If its zoned, you will prob have remotes anyway..or should....but most of
the time, the thermostat is located near a return, and NOT in the kitchen,
or bathroom.

Since the subject has come up, I'd like to piggy-back on this for a
minute. In addressing some of my A/C problems incident to a
replacement of 30 y.o. system, part of the plan is to install a second
return, then zone the hot end of the house and add a 2nd (maybe
portable) thermostat. While I'm getting 10 year parts and labor on
the sytem, per se, the warranty on the whatever it is that goes in the
vents to close them off, etc. is 3 years. Makes me think that maybe
that state-of-the-art isn't quite ready for prime time use. Any
thoughts.
My current thought is to let them install the 2nd return as part of
the system reinstall, which includes re-wrapping all the existing
sheet metal vents but then wait a year and see how the new system
works without the zoning. Yes, I know it will cost more to have them
come back and do it.
If it makes a difference, the new system will porobably be a heat pump
vice straight A/C so that I have a back-up heating sytem to the
hot-water baseboard.
Any thoughts from all you experts. You sure have helped me a lot in
the past.
TIA
Roy

PoCambo

From: odiego

So if the control thingy is located in let's say the kitchen, and you
turn your AC to run auto at 70 degrees, and the kitchen is 80 degrees
while all the other rooms are 65 degrees, the AC will keep running
anyways?

Main reason you never install a thermostat in a room with alot of heat or
humidity,the unit will run more then it has to cause it thinks the whole house
is as hot as that one room when it isnt.Also most acs should be set at 78 or 80
degrees to save money and electricity.In winter furnaces 68 to 70

mwlogs

My in-laws called the repair guy one winter after they moved their TV to
right under their stat. They couldn't figure out why they always got so
cold when they were watching TV. The guy poke around the furnace a while
then when to check the stat and immediately saw the problem. TV on = lots
of heat so room must be warm enough! Had it been summer, they would have
had the same problem: TV on = lots of heat so room MUST need more AC!

barry martin

M My in-laws called the repair guy one winter after they moved their TV to
M right under their stat. They couldn't figure out why they always got so
M cold when they were watching TV. The guy poke around the furnace a while
M then when to check the stat and immediately saw the problem. TV on = lots
M of heat so room must be warm enough! Had it been summer, they would have
M had the same problem: TV on = lots of heat so room MUST need more AC!

laff "Trick" we used when the apartment complex I used to live in
switched the thermostats to the type that used a fixed sensor and were
locked (utilities paid) -- if the a/c sensor was 78ø placing a lamp
under the thermostat warmed the area and cooled the apartement.
(Heck, the electricity to power the lamp was paid also!)

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* Not Quites: I  NY; I . NY; I  NY.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *