Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt

Default Track lighting on GFCI

A question for the electricians on this BB:

I have a track light that will not work with a GFCI enabled circuit. No
issues if I take the light bulbs out of the sockets. If I replace either
bulb or both bulbs the GFCI blows as soon as the switch is thrown. If I
place the track light onto a non-GFCI circuit all is fine. Of course, the
GFCI circuit is now fine as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

Matt wrote:
A question for the electricians on this BB:

I have a track light that will not work with a GFCI enabled circuit. No
issues if I take the light bulbs out of the sockets. If I replace either
bulb or both bulbs the GFCI blows as soon as the switch is thrown. If I
place the track light onto a non-GFCI circuit all is fine. Of course, the
GFCI circuit is now fine as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

No replies. Hmm. Let me ask this. Why do you need track lights on a GFCI
anyway?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Maybe the GFCI is trying to tell you something- like there's a ground
fault/ short in the circuit. I would check the connections throughout
that track light circuit, from where you connect it to GFCI to the
fixture end. Have you tried plugging it with extension cord to a
different GFCI?- just to confirm that the problem is with track light
part of the circuit.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great

On Wed, 31 May 2006 10:23:24 -0400, "Matt"
wrote:

A question for the electricians on this BB:

I have a track light that will not work with a GFCI enabled circuit. No
issues if I take the light bulbs out of the sockets. If I replace either
bulb or both bulbs the GFCI blows as soon as the switch is thrown. If I
place the track light onto a non-GFCI circuit all is fine. Of course, the
GFCI circuit is now fine as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

I don't know why you have it on a GFCI protected circuit, so this is
just a guess.

I would take it off of it, if I couldn't I would then wonder if the
GFCI is 'too sensitive'. I was told as GFCI circuitry failed, it
failed 'safer', tripping a lot.

later,

tom @ www.NoCostAds.com

Electrical question: a gfci AND a lighting circuit Home Repair 4 December 9th 05 08:17 PM
Is track lighting only controlled by a wall switch and must wiringbe behind the wall/ceiling? ggg Home Ownership 5 December 5th 04 06:33 PM
240V track lighting Richard Savage UK diy 3 May 11th 04 07:42 PM
Track Lighting BigDaDDY Home Repair 1 February 19th 04 06:52 PM
Dark Kitchen / Track Lighting? Quidnunc Home Repair 12 January 19th 04 12:32 AM