Posted to alt.home.repair
Christina

Default chalky film n everything!

My dishwasher leaves a chalky film on my dishes and has the same film
all over the inside of the washer. I have used a dishwasher cleaner
that I found at a home improvement store and that seemed to have
cleaned some of the film. Can I run an empty cycle with something like
CLR in the detergent dispenser? I have an idea it's the water
(Northeast FL) causing this and I can't afford to install a water
softening system right now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Christina wrote:
My dishwasher leaves a chalky film on my dishes and has the same film
all over the inside of the washer. I have used a dishwasher cleaner
that I found at a home improvement store and that seemed to have
cleaned some of the film. Can I run an empty cycle with something
like CLR in the detergent dispenser? I have an idea it's the water
(Northeast FL) causing this and I can't afford to install a water
softening system right now.

I suspect you are right about the water. I don't know what is available
now or in your area, but I would check to see if there are some water
softener products available for dish washers.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

If you are using a liquid dishwasher detergent, switch to a powder like
Cascade Complete. They work much better.

"Christina" wrote in message
oups.com...
My dishwasher leaves a chalky film on my dishes and has the same film
all over the inside of the washer. I have used a dishwasher cleaner
that I found at a home improvement store and that seemed to have
cleaned some of the film. Can I run an empty cycle with something like
CLR in the detergent dispenser? I have an idea it's the water
(Northeast FL) causing this and I can't afford to install a water
softening system right now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I, too, live in FL and calcium/lime scale deposits get on glasses and
shower doors etc. If you can possibly manage, buy a water softener to
treat the water. If not, you might try getting some rinse aid
especially for the dishwasher. White vinegar added to rinse water
helps a little when washing clothes. My water softener broke three
weeks ago and we are trying to fix it ourselves, ordering parts, etc.
The glasses have already started looking cloudy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

An appliance repairman posted several years ago to use the same brand
of rinse aid as the detergent to avoid potential problems of
incompatibility.

On 30 May 2006 17:16:44 -0700, "
wrote:

I, too, live in FL and calcium/lime scale deposits get on glasses and
shower doors etc. If you can possibly manage, buy a water softener to
treat the water. If not, you might try getting some rinse aid
especially for the dishwasher. White vinegar added to rinse water
helps a little when washing clothes. My water softener broke three
weeks ago and we are trying to fix it ourselves, ordering parts, etc.
The glasses have already started looking cloudy.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HarryS

Is the chalky film removable, i.e., by rubbing or rinsing an item with
vinegar?
Harry

oups.com...