Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Boulder Fringe Festival

Default FILM, MUSIC, & VISUAL ART APPLICATIONS - 2006 BOULDER FRINGE FESTIVAL!

1. Apply!
JUST ONE WEEK TO APPLY FOR THE MUSIC, FILM AND VISUAL ART CATEGORIES!
Yes, that's right, MUSIC, FILM, and VISUAL ART Applications are now
being accepted for the 2nd Annual Boulder International Fringe
Festival.

Check out all of the great NEW features we are offering artists this
year. It's going to be an amazing year to be a part of the Fringe...

The BOULDER INTERNATIONAL FRINGE FESTIVAL applications for Music, Film
and Visual Art are NOW BEING ACCEPTED online
at www.boulderfringe.com NOW through April 1st, 2006.

Go to www.boulderfringe.com for more details and to apply!

Get ready to take part in this exciting, fresh addition to the
Boulder/Denver Arts Scene. After a very successful first year the
Boulder International Fringe Festival¨ will return in 2006 with
greater visibility and a more educated community. Now that the Fringe
has introduced itself properly (how do you do, madame?) version 2.0
promises to be packed with more excitement and an eclectic variety of
artists, audiences, and community groups.

New Additions in 2006:

100% of the Box Office (or sale of artwork) Revenue goes to the artists

Fringe Artists get FREE admission into other Fringe shows!

Discounts available to Audiences for greater attendance.

Marketing with more distinction between the types of art.

More refined Artist Materials

Better Informed Press

More Technical Services

Music category completely redesigned for greater accessibility and
affordability.

Film, Visual Art and Music category fees significantly reduced!

2. Party!
YOU'RE INVITED TO THE "SON OF THE BIG FRINGE LOTTERY PARTY"!

Hot on the heels of February's "The Big Fringe Lottery Party,"
(in which the Boulder Fringe's 40 dance and theatre slots were
booked), comes April's

"SON OF THE BIG FRINGE THEATER AND DANCE LOTTERY PARTY", during which
the festival's film, visual art, and music bookings will be
decided.

April 10th 2006

7pm @ RedFish Brewery (between Spruce and Pearl on 13th St., downtown
Boulder)
Free

The event will feature entertainment by a variety of musical acts
including Ramaya Soskin (of local favorite Slow Rosa), hip-hop artist
Ian Sharp, improvisational duo LightsEdgeProject, and others. Also
featured will be the work of video artists Mindtemple Media and several
local visual artists.

Hosting the event will be Ryan Eggensperger (Eddy the Eskimo of the
festival's live late-night talk program, "The Eskimo Show,") and
co-host, improv comic Christopher Kuckenbaker.

So if you've got an application in, are curious about who's going
to be a part of the festival, or are just interested in an evening of
free, wacky, homegrown, Fringe-style entertainment, come join us for
"Son of The Big Fringe Lottery Party," RedFish Brewpub, at 7pm on
the 10th!

email: with any questions!

3. Salon!
INTRODUCING C.R.A.B., A MONTHLY ARTIST'S SALON!

The Boulder International Fringe Festival and The Laughing
Goat present:

Constantly Risking Absurdity, Baby (C.R.A.B.)
Whe The Laughing Goat, 1709 Pearl St., Boulder
When: 7-9pm, the third Thursday of the month, beginning April 20th,
2006.
What: A showcase for professional local artists, a networking hub, a
great show
How Much: $1 - $6 (depending on a roll of the dice) (artists
performing that night get in free)

The Boulder International Fringe Festival, in the interest of
strengthening Boulder's creative community, promoting new work by
local artists, and raising the local standard for artistic innovation,
brings you C.R.A.B., a monthly event at The Laughing Goat coffeehouse,
which will showcase new works by writers, performers, comics,
musicians, and other artists.

C.R.A.B. (which is an acronym for Constantly Risking Absurdity, Baby;
from the poem by Lawrence Ferlinghetti) promises to provide a
much-needed forum for local artists to present new work, promote
upcoming shows and events, and network in a context in which unique,
high quality work is the order of the day.

The event will begin at 7pm on the third Thursday of each month, and
will last approximately 120 minutes, including an
intermission. Hosted by Eddy the Eskimo (local performer Ryan
Eggensperger), C.R.A.B. will follow a variety-show/salon format, in
which the acts are presented sequentially, each act getting 5 minutes
to perform. Following each act, the performer will have an opportunity
to give a brief statement about their work, as well as advertise
upcoming events, websites or available merchandise, as they see fit.

If you are interested in performing at C.R.A.B.,
please send submissions to

4. Penguin Dust
TRANSMISSIONS FROM THE VOID

BY EDDIE THE ESKIMO

Hey! Aksutik everybody! Eddy the Eskimo here-
just wanted to say hey, it's been a long-ass winter and I'm looking
forward to puttin' on my bermudas, revving up the sled, and making
my yearly trek down to Boulder to see everyone for some Fringe events
again this year!

I hope everyone's excited to see me too, you know?

But first things first. In response to some letters I've been
recieving, a lot of people are curious as to how an Eskimo like myself
got involved with an arts festival in Colorado, which is an excellent
question in itself.

And simply put, the answer to it, like many other questions in this
world, is "Robert Redford."

Lemme explain.

One day last June, I was on vacation in the Alaskan wilderness, and I
was making some bongos out of the skin of a moose that I used to know,
when I hear a nanuk, er, polar bear, about 300 yards southwest of where
I'm standing. So it's about lunchtime, and I'm thinking, groovy, I
haven't had nanuk in a couple days.

So I brandish my knife and I take a couple of steps, when I realize,
wait a second, those footsteps are too soft for a polar bear...no,
no, that's Robert Redford.

I put my knife away, approach him, and sure enough, with his tape
measure in one hand, a cup of Genmaicha in the other, and humming one
of my favorite Woody Guthrie tunes, was the Sundance Kid himself.

So naturally I introduced myself.

EE: (approaching) Hey, Sundance, what's happening brother?

RR: (focused, not looking up) I'm taking some measurements of the
Alaskan wilderness up here, which, as you know, is in danger.

EE: Oh really? What's the deal?

RR: President Bush is still trying to pass a bill in congress to drill
for oil up here in this beautiful, majestic land (takes deep breath,
pounds on chest, then quickly returns to measuring).

EE: Right, right. (awkward pause) So what exactly are you measuring?

RR: (pause, then stands, looking EE square in the eye, very slowly)
If you're gonna f#%* with the lions, it pays to sharpen your teeth.

EE: (confused, yet somehow reassured) Got it. (pause, while RR returns
to measuring) You need any help, man?

RR: Sure, hold this. (hands EE a penguin liver)

EE: Oh, sure. (author's note: the smell from a penguins liver, it is
common knowledge on the tundra, functions as something of a natural
amphetamine, sharpening the senses and providing one with a
near-inhuman ability to focus on otherwise daunting tasks, such
as evaluating the dimensions of the Alaskan wilderness with a
consumer model Stanley Powerlock 35' tape measure)
You know, (indicating incisions in said liver) these things work much
better if you cut the slits perpendicular to the tissue.

RR: Is that true? My guy told me parallel.

EE: No, no, it's perpendicular, Robert Redford.

RR: (stands, letting tape measure snap quickly back into casing for
dramatic effect) You know what (tossing cup of tea) I could use someone
like you. How do you feel about Utah?

EE: I don't know, I've never been there. (looking at teacup) Are you
gonna pick that up?

RR: Utah is the Alaska of the West. With Mormons. And FILM! (throws arm
over EE's shoulder) Pure, untapped, majestic- Mother Nature uncorked.
Don't believe me? Ask Clooney.

EE: Okay. (looking over shoulder at tea cup) Um...are you gonna-

RR: You'll work for me. Personal Consultant in Arctic Affairs. How's
that sound?

EE: Um-

RR: Fantastic.

So I went with him.

Unfortunately, on the way down, he ran into another Eskimo on the plane
that he got along with just as well as me, but who had already signed a
three-picture deal with Miramax, so he figured he'd kill two birds with
one stone. And I got off the plane in Salt Lake City, far from home,
and now jobless. Never one to turn down a challenge, I wandered the
desert for 40 days and 39 nights, the 40th of which was August 17th of
last year, when I arrived on the doorstep of Fringe Central.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Well, I hope that answers everyone's questions, and thanks
for writing - keep it up! Hopefully, someday I'll get to hear the
story of how you all came to be involved with the Boulder Fringe.
Oh yea, come see me at RedFish on April 10th, where I'll be hosting the
"Son of the Big Fringe Lottery Party," and we'll find out who's gonna
be in the Music, Film and Visual Art categories of the 2006 festival.

Until then,
stay warm,

Eddy the Eskimo

5. Get Involved!
THE FRINGE IS LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD PEOPLE!

There are many ways to be involved in the Fringe this year. We'd love
for you to help us fill some of the roles that are needed in order for
the festival to run smoothly.

If you're ready to jump into the world of fringe, try becoming one or
many of the following things:

Artist - All disciplines of Art and creativity are accepted. It's a
simple application - Unjuried and entirely
uncensored.
http://boulderfringe.com/festival/index.aspx

Volunteer - An incredible way to support creativity in your community.
Free tickets to shows. Parties. Special events. Being a Fringe
volunteer will bolster your resume
immensely. http://boulderfringe.com/volunteers/

Staff - Each year the Fringe hires Experienced Administrative and
Production staff that "love their jobs!" Specific roles we hire for...
Technical Production (Sound, Lights Stage Management, Stage Rigging),
Front of House Box Office, House Managers, Administrative, Events
Coordination, Marketing, Web Development and more...Please send letter
of intent and resume to

Sponsor - Want to support community-building initiative in the City of
Boulder? Want more visibility for your products and services? Find out
why businesses and organizations all over the world are already
sponsoring the Fringe Movement.
http://boulderfringe.com/sponsors/

Member - Being a Fringe Member is a great way to contribute to the
mission of the Fringe. At only $30 for a year, it's affordable, fun and
has some great benefits! http://boulderfringe.com/members/

Donor - The Fringe is an Initiative of the Boulder County Arts
Alliance, a Colorado 501c3 tax Exempt organization. Your cash
contribution will not only be tax-deductible but also be used to
enhance your entire community. The Fringe mission is to foster
creativity in the community and build bridges between organizations and
individuals of all types. The festival is entirely accessible and does
not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religious or political
affiliation. Email for more information.

Press - Have you noticed the whirlwind that is spreading across the
globe like wildfire? Internationally, the Fringe movement is making a
bigger impact than most Hurricanes and Tsunamis put together, it's even
more prolific than the war on terror. What's unique about Fringe in
the world is that it's entirely focused on accessibility and creativity
(as alternative to more territorial and destructive principles). Find
out more about what's in store for the Boulder International Fringe
Festival in Boulder, Colorado by contacting

Audience - Want to support the fringe but don't know where you fit in?
Come see shows! Come experience the art and creativity in your
community! Expect the unexpected! Performances are always affordable
and open to all. Audiences are also given a voice in the creative
process through audience voting - make comments on shows, be a part of
the community buzz and have a say in what your community wants art to
be! For more details go to -
www.boulderfringe.com.

Stay Informed -If anyone you know would like to sign up for the fringe
Email List, have them send an email to