Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cold air return near the ground or ceiling?

The developer is coming back to put in a cold air return grill of which
they had dry walled over. The contractor will check to see if the grill
can be installed near the ceiling or the ground (depending if the studs
have been sealed off half way up the wall - usually, cold air returns
are near the ground).

This is for the top floor of a 3 floor home. Here is my thinking.
Experts in this area, please chime in. To help remove more heat in the
top floor, I am tempted to ask teh contractor to install the grill
close to the ceiling. Aesthetically, it may not be as pleasing but
wouldn't this help in drawing away some of the heat in the summer time?

My furnace has a 2 stage motor but the original developer only hooked
it up to run on 1 stage. I am getting central A/C put in and their
installer thinks he can re-setup the wires so that it can utilize the 2
stage blower. SO... on the hot days, the cold air return will, in
theory, pull out more heat from teh top floor (as it is closer to the
ceiling). In the cold days, it will still pull away more heat but I am
thinking this is ok since the heat will be on anyways. By the way,
thermostat is on middle floor. On the not so hot days, I am thinking I
can run the blower to circulate air without using the A/C or furnace
heat. Our furnace actually pulls air from cold air returns inside the
home as well as a duct that draws air from the outside of the house.

Any thoughts, advanatges or disadvantages on whether we should install
the cold air return near the ceiling or ground (on the 3rd floor)?

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

wrote:

[...]

I think it depends on the climate you're in, since "cold air return" is
a misnomer in the south during much of the year. In the north, I'd
place it low, but high in the south (assuming Northern Hemisphere).

Posted to alt.home.repair

CJT, can you explain your reasoning. I need more info, newbie here.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimi

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Y'know, I don't think it really matters where you put the fresh air
intake as far as efficiency goies. I think the difference would be very
minumal.

I would however, want the cold air intake near the basement where
there is a cooler temperature and will cool your house in summertime when
you have the furnace shut off and the fan on manual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also forgot to add, we have a cold air return in the basement. I am
thinking I want to disbale this so teh basement does not freeze when
the A/C is on in the summer months. Any feedback for this on top of my
original question in the first post?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere that the more humid air is alos
the part that rises and was hoping the higher cold air return would
pull out more moisture and heat from the top floor. So it sounds like
there isn't much of a difference whether it's close to the ground or
ceiling.

And based on your reply, it also sounds like that I should leave my
basement cold air intake as is for cases where I will run the blower
for air when the A/C or heat is not on. What about for times when the
A/C is on. Would the aold air return in the basement create a negative
pressure and draw cold air form the upper 2 floors to cool the basement
even more? Any thoughts on whether I should keep the cold air return in
the basement woudl ab greatly appreciated. One more thing, the basement
is an open design and there is a big gap under the door to teh furnace
room. Wouldn't this act like a codl air return?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimi

Would the aold air return in the basement create a negative
pressure and draw cold air form the upper 2 floors to cool the basement
even more? Any thoughts on whether I should keep the cold air return in
the basement woudl ab greatly appreciated. One more thing, the basement
is an open design and there is a big gap under the door to teh furnace
room. Wouldn't this act like a codl air return?

There could be a negative flow, but no great pressure...again, it would
be so small they you wouldn't notice. If your furnace is in a small room
where your fresh air intake is, yes the air would go under the door.
One thing that you don't adress is the registers. The cold air intake
isn't the only variable that can be changed or relied upon for cold and/or
heat comfort. You can open and close your registers or floor vents or walls
to regulate what air goes where. Depending on where you live they may be
needed to be adjusted every season or only once in the houses lifetime. You
can do a lot by adjusting your registers so I wouldn't get too worried about
the placement of the air intake. Hope that was of some help...Jimi

Posted to alt.home.repair

So it sounds like I can keep the basement air return and do some
blocking between seasons to see how this affects temperature among the
3 levels.

One last question. What is this backdraft danger for some instnaces
where air returns in teh basement can cause? Still can't wrap my head
around this yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Heat rises. Cold sinks.

Where do you think you will find cold air?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Heat rises. Cold sinks.

Where do you think you will find cold air?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.

Was that supposed to be a smart remark?

Just to clarify, the situation changes with the seasons. In the summer
months, the main goal would be to have the upper most air return draw
the most humid and heated air while in the winter months to maximize
the comfort of the entire home. From my research, many home owners have
indiacted that having a air returnin teh basement in teh summer with
central A/C actually makes the basement much cooler than it needs to
be. As another useful poster suggested, maybe keeping all 3 returns and
making adjustments to registers and returns to try and "balance" the
comfrot levels as much as possible with the changing seasons is the
best method. Again, I am a newbie at this and was looking for advice
and help. Not smart a$$ remarks with no further explanation... Mr T.,
have you been fed enough? -- again, please see your own signature.

Posted to alt.home.repair

a long time ago a realtive had AC, back in the late 60s. He was
wealthy. first air condioning I had ever seen

Anyhow he had 2 sets of air returns with levers to close them off, one
high for AC season, one low for heating season. He would turn off the
unneeded one depending on the time of year.

Never saw another set up like that, I suspect furnaces today do a
better job of circulating air thus the multi speed blowers.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sat, 27 May 2006 20:57:47 GMT, CJT wrote:

wrote:

[...]

If your ceilings are high enough so that you can have a
pool of warmer air at the ceiling and not have your
head in it, then having the cold air returns low means that
you can cool the air that you're actually living in
faster. You'll eventually end up dealing with the
extra heat up high, by disfusion, mixing, and radiation,
but it buys you a bit of extra responsiveness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ceiling...I had a problem where the upstairs is warmer then the
downstairs when the a/c is on. The house was built w/ 1 return upstairs
on the floor. I've sence installed returns in the ceiling upstairs. It
made a huge dif. It the winter im going to cover the return so it
doesn't return the warm air. If I were you, I would put one high and
one low and close one depending on the season. If your return in the
basement is pulling too much air due to it not haveing much resistance,
it may be pulling less air from inside the living space. Not good