Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default Cold air return near the ground or ceiling?

wrote:

CJT, can you explain your reasoning. I need more info, newbie here.

In the south where it's hot much of the year, you want to pull away the
hottest air (near the top) to run through your A/C; winter isn't the
issue. In the north, where winter IS the issue, you want to draw off
the coldest air to feed to your furnace.

At least, that's my thinking on the subject. But I agree with the
other poster that it's probably not a huge issue. In either case,
the outlet of the AC/furnace will be significantly cooler/warmer
than the air in the room, so the location of the return should only
make a marginal difference.