Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Levelling a site for an above ground pool with crushed rock???

I'm planning on installing an above ground pool. I had the excavator
dig out the required area needed. However, at a point he hit a solid
rock ledge and was unable to proceed further without a lot more effort.
Is it possible to raise one end of the pool about 7 or eight inches w/
crushed rock to level the site out??? Or will that one side of the
pool "settle" in when filling the pool? Any other ideas??? Maybe some
retaining wall blocks?? Railroad ties?? Plain old dirt??

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

wrote in message
ps.com...
I'm planning on installing an above ground pool. I had the excavator
dig out the required area needed. However, at a point he hit a solid
rock ledge and was unable to proceed further without a lot more effort.
Is it possible to raise one end of the pool about 7 or eight inches w/
crushed rock to level the site out??? Or will that one side of the
pool "settle" in when filling the pool? Any other ideas??? Maybe some
retaining wall blocks?? Railroad ties?? Plain old dirt??

Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

I would start buy talking to the pool manufactures I'm sure this is a common
problem. My thoughts would build a raised pad under the pool. I would make
the ground under the area is compacted ( I would guess it is) As for a
filler sand might be a good idea just buy wetting it you get a good
compaction.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Sat, 27 May 2006 16:35:04 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

writes:

I'm planning on installing an above ground pool. I had the excavator
dig out the required area needed. However, at a point he hit a solid
rock ledge and was unable to proceed further without a lot more effort.
Is it possible to raise one end of the pool about 7 or eight inches w/
crushed rock to level the site out??? Or will that one side of the
pool "settle" in when filling the pool? Any other ideas??? Maybe some
retaining wall blocks?? Railroad ties?? Plain old dirt??

If I understand correctly, you'd planned on excavating to X feet,
and did so for most of the pool, and at one end hit ledge at
X feet minus about 8", right? ANd now you want to fill
the part you've just dug out back up to level with the
top of the ledge, and raise the eventual height of the pool
by that amount?

The first thing I'd do is take a hunk of re-bar, and find out
how much farther you'd have to go to get to solid ledge at the
low end. If it's within a foot or two, dig it all out to
rock, and then either build the pool to match, (with a deep
and a shallow end) or fill with concrete, and get a dead-level
bottom that won't move, ever.