Posted to alt.home.repair

Default concrete anchors for railings

Hi:

I am in the process of installing vinyl covered aluminum railing on my
concret patio. I need to dill 4 holes per steel post and use some sort
of (at least) 3/8' type anchor at 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 length.

My question is what is the best type: wedge, sleeve, or tapcon. I came
across some large (3/8") tapcon bolts at a busy beaver near my home. I
have used the tapcon screws to install cabineys in my garage and they
seem to hold a lot of weight and they can be removed leaving only a
hole to fill if one makes a mistake (which I often do). Are the bolts
sufficient for my use or one of the other typs?

thx

Posted to alt.home.repair

thats a bad choice for a railing espically if the concrete is old.
neighbor bpought a alunumum railig for her front porch, it looked nice
and wouldnt rust, but wouldnt support a child let alone a adult. worse
one day she slipped, the raing broke but not before ruinong the porch,
the tapcons held fine the concrete crumbled and broke. fortunately the
elderly lady wasnt seriously hurt.

shew got a new porch with galvanix=zed steel railings cemented in holes
in the concrete.

Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

"Tim S" wrote in message

Hi:

I am in the process of installing vinyl covered aluminum railing on my
concret patio. I need to dill 4 holes per steel post and use some sort
of (at least) 3/8' type anchor at 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 length.

My question is what is the best type: wedge, sleeve, or tapcon. I came
across some large (3/8") tapcon bolts at a busy beaver near my home. I
have used the tapcon screws to install cabineys in my garage and they
seem to hold a lot of weight and they can be removed leaving only a
hole to fill if one makes a mistake (which I often do). Are the bolts
sufficient for my use or one of the other typs?

thx

Regarding the fixings, wedge bolts are exceeding strong - I would
personally
use these. Don't use them too near the edge though as they may crack the
concrete.

There is a 4th option, chemical anchors, where you epoxy stud in to the
concrete.

Cheers

Tim

epoxy studs also have the advantage of not putting expansion pressure on the
hole so they are less likely to crack and bust out near the edge.They do
cost more though.with epoxy you can place the rail where you want it and
drill thorugh the hole without having to reposition the railing.With the
style anchor that uses a bolt you have to mark the hole location,remove
rail,then drill oversized hole,put in the anchor,reposition railin and
finally put in the bolt....if the drill did not walk on you while drilling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thx---where does one go to find out more/purchase the epoxy stuff?

Never saw or heard of this technique

thx again

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim S

wrote:

Thx---where does one go to find out more/purchase the epoxy stuff?

Never saw or heard of this technique

thx again

Don;t know what they are called or where to get them in the US (I assume you
are there).

See this:

Basically, you dill a hole, 3/4 fill or so with special polyester or
vinylester resin and ram a length of screw stud in, leaving enough sticking
out to hold thing being fixed and add a nut. When set, add thing and do up
nut - job done

Very very strong and places minimal stresses on the substrate. Quite good on
unstable crumbly substrate too - they make special resins if you have very
poor concrete/block.

HTH

Tim (in the UK)

Concrete Bonding Agent & people who do not read directions... a Home Repair 2 October 5th 05 03:50 PM
concrete anchors Longshot Home Repair 5 October 5th 05 04:13 AM
How to make new concrete attach to old concrete JW Home Ownership 8 June 27th 04 08:44 AM
Laying Concrete Flooring John UK diy 5 September 24th 03 07:15 AM
Help with concrete! Alexander Galkin Home Repair 4 August 16th 03 04:40 AM