Posted to alt.home.repair
digitalmaster

Default concrete anchors for railings

"Tim S" wrote in message

Hi:

I am in the process of installing vinyl covered aluminum railing on my
concret patio. I need to dill 4 holes per steel post and use some sort
of (at least) 3/8' type anchor at 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 length.

My question is what is the best type: wedge, sleeve, or tapcon. I came
across some large (3/8") tapcon bolts at a busy beaver near my home. I
have used the tapcon screws to install cabineys in my garage and they
seem to hold a lot of weight and they can be removed leaving only a
hole to fill if one makes a mistake (which I often do). Are the bolts
sufficient for my use or one of the other typs?

thx

Regarding the fixings, wedge bolts are exceeding strong - I would
personally
use these. Don't use them too near the edge though as they may crack the
concrete.

There is a 4th option, chemical anchors, where you epoxy stud in to the
concrete.

Cheers

Tim

epoxy studs also have the advantage of not putting expansion pressure on the
hole so they are less likely to crack and bust out near the edge.They do
cost more though.with epoxy you can place the rail where you want it and
drill thorugh the hole without having to reposition the railing.With the
style anchor that uses a bolt you have to mark the hole location,remove
rail,then drill oversized hole,put in the anchor,reposition railin and
finally put in the bolt....if the drill did not walk on you while drilling.