Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Pepin

Default Installing a new ceiling fan.

Renovating the extra bedroom in the house and am replacing an older
ceiling fan with a newer fan. Kind of stumped about the wiring, and
thought I'd post here and give a shot at it. Instructions with the fan
kit were useless. I know the wires in the box are copper(not sure if
this matters).

Scenario:
Box in ceiling: 3 wires. Red, Black and white. Ground on fan housing.
Fan/light: 3 wires. Blue, Black, white and ground.

Connected green to green and white to white. So far, so good. Manual
says to connect blue and black on fan side to black in box. That leaves
a red left, which I'm not sure what to do with. From what I can tell,
it's a hot wire(and logically red means hot).

This is probably an extremely simple thing, but it's frustrating the
heck out of me... Can anyone help me out? Thanks for your help in
advance.

-greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Greg Pepin" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Assuming everything was wired properly before you started:

Scenario:
Box in ceiling: 3 wires. Red, Black and white. Ground on fan housing.
Fan/light: 3 wires. Blue, Black, white and ground.

white to white
red & black are both hot if you have two switches connect to fan blue/black
Your choice of colors.

You did not mention a ground wire in the box so connect fan ground wire to
the metal box or cap it off. If ground on fan housing meant you have a bare
ground wire then connect it to the fan ground wire. Older lighting circuits
did not always have a ground at ceiling fixtures. Best not to connect it to
white.

If you don't have a light kit the blue wire is the unused one normally.
Just cap it and one of the two hot wires.

There I made that almost as the third world printed directions.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Pepin

Thanks Colby.

There's only 1 switch in the wall. There is a ground in the box.

Last attempt at this was capping the red coming out of the box and
yielded no result, so I'm thinking that it's atleast for the light kit.

Should I cap the blue on fan and connect the black on fan to black and
red on box? Or can I go blue and black fan wires to red and black box
wires?

Thanks a bunch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

If you only have one wall switch, how did the old fan-light work? If the
light worked off the wall switch and the fan worked off the pull chain,
connect your greens and whites as you already described, connect the blue
(light kit) to your red, and connect your fan (black) to your black. If the
wall switch controls the fan instead of the light, just reverse the red and
black wire connections

"Greg Pepin" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks Colby.

There's only 1 switch in the wall. There is a ground in the box.

Last attempt at this was capping the red coming out of the box and
yielded no result, so I'm thinking that it's atleast for the light kit.

Should I cap the blue on fan and connect the black on fan to black and
red on box? Or can I go blue and black fan wires to red and black box
wires?

Thanks a bunch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

You need to figure out which wire is which at the box. If you have
only one switch, it must control one wire. The other is usually going
to a switch for the light. If you don't have one, it may be a
permanently hot wire. If that's the case, connect the switched wire to
the fan, hot to the light for the fan if it has one. You will need to
use the pull switch on the fan, if it has one, to work the light.

Alternatively, you can use a wireless remote unit that will work both
and only uses a permanent hot at the box. Personally, I like that
solution, especially for new installs, as it avoids running a wire and
installing a switch.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Pepin

Not sure how the old one worked. I think it had a red wire and a black
wire ...

I will try switching the blue and black and see how we make out...

Thanks for your help!