Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg Pepin

Default Installing a new ceiling fan.

Renovating the extra bedroom in the house and am replacing an older
ceiling fan with a newer fan. Kind of stumped about the wiring, and
thought I'd post here and give a shot at it. Instructions with the fan
kit were useless. I know the wires in the box are copper(not sure if
this matters).

Scenario:
Box in ceiling: 3 wires. Red, Black and white. Ground on fan housing.
Fan/light: 3 wires. Blue, Black, white and ground.

Connected green to green and white to white. So far, so good. Manual
says to connect blue and black on fan side to black in box. That leaves
a red left, which I'm not sure what to do with. From what I can tell,
it's a hot wire(and logically red means hot).

This is probably an extremely simple thing, but it's frustrating the
heck out of me... Can anyone help me out? Thanks for your help in
advance.

-greg