Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack CC

Default Moving Gasoline, LPG across States Line.

We are planning to move from the Midwest to a Western State, is it against the
law transporting gasoline, LPG or propane across States lines? How about 3
gallons of gas for emergency roadside use, one or two small full propane
canisters and two empty 20 lbs. LPG tanks.

Thank you for the informations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Tue, 09 May 2006 16:56:53 -0500, Jack CC
wrote:

We are planning to move from the Midwest to a Western State, is it against the
law transporting gasoline, LPG or propane across States lines? How about 3
gallons of gas for emergency roadside use, one or two small full propane
canisters and two empty 20 lbs. LPG tanks.

Thank you for the informations.

Retired ole folks drive RVs across state lines all the time. The ones
that survive do not get hit by a speeding train.
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

The quantities you say are perfectly fine to transport as long as you do it
safely in the first place.

I don't think I would store a gas can in an enclosed trailer for example or
even in the passenger compartment of your car but any other ventilated spot
like an open trailer would be fine.

LP is more tightly sealed, as long as it don't get too hot or banged around,
it is quite safe to transport.

"Jack CC" wrote in message

We are planning to move from the Midwest to a Western State, is it against
the
law transporting gasoline, LPG or propane across States lines? How about 3
gallons of gas for emergency roadside use, one or two small full propane
canisters and two empty 20 lbs. LPG tanks.

Thank you for the informations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George

PipeDown wrote:
The quantities you say are perfectly fine to transport as long as you do it
safely in the first place.

I don't think I would store a gas can in an enclosed trailer for example or
even in the passenger compartment of your car but any other ventilated spot
like an open trailer would be fine.

LP is more tightly sealed, as long as it don't get too hot or banged around,
it is quite safe to transport.

And is also under pressure and will quickly fill an enclosed area if a
valve leaks etc. Thats why the RVs carry the tank on the outside.

"Jack CC" wrote in message

We are planning to move from the Midwest to a Western State, is it against
the
law transporting gasoline, LPG or propane across States lines? How about 3
gallons of gas for emergency roadside use, one or two small full propane
canisters and two empty 20 lbs. LPG tanks.

Thank you for the informations.

Posted to alt.home.repair
AZ Nomad

On Tue, 09 May 2006 16:56:53 -0500, Jack CC wrote:

We are planning to move from the Midwest to a Western State, is it against the
law transporting gasoline, LPG or propane across States lines? How about 3

If you can drive over a state border without draining and refilling your
fuel tank then you should be able to do the same with a gas can.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

.net...

"Jack CC" wrote in message

We are planning to move from the Midwest to a Western State, is it
against the
law transporting gasoline, LPG or propane across States lines? How about
3
gallons of gas for emergency roadside use, one or two small full propane
canisters and two empty 20 lbs. LPG tanks.

Thank you for the informations.

Transport of LPG through tunnels is usually prohibited. I have kinfolk
who travel the route from New England to Florida in their camper and when
they have LPG they must not use the tunnels in Baltimore and other places.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

wrote:
We are planning to move from the Midwest to a Western State, is it against the
law transporting gasoline, LPG or propane across States lines? How about 3
gallons of gas for emergency roadside use, one or two small full propane
canisters and two empty 20 lbs. LPG tanks.

Hmmm... I suspect that this says something about where you live if you
think that you need to ask permission before putting something in your
own vehicle...

FYI: The RV trailers have LPG tanks usually mounted on the front of
the trailer / trailer tongue... When I go across country in my Jeep, I
carry about 15-20 gallons on my roof rack since some of the places
that you travel through either have very expensive fuel or the
stations are so few and far apart that it's nice to have options... In
my truck, I'm likely to have a 55 gallon drum in the back, just in
case... It gives me quite a few more options on refueling... I can
refuel it when I encounter cheaper gas and refuel from it when I'm in
an area that is overpriced...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

On Tue, 09 May 2006 19:29:17 -0500, Jack CC
wrote:
Safety and not breaking any laws are my main concern.

Then Kalifornia is the right place for you... Please stay out of
Texas, we don't want your kind here... We believe that people should
be responsible for their own actions and the govenment shouldn't be
telling you what to do...

Anyone experiences in truck rental? I am looking at U-Haul 14' or 17' truck and
not sure they're one-way.

Perhaps try http://www.uhaul.com? Duhhh....

Click on "Rates and reservations", then click on "One-way move", then
fill out the information... Easy enough that even a Democrat could
probably do it...

Assuming Chicago to Los Angeles, it comes back with a price of $651
for the 14 ft truck and $693 for the 17 ft one... On the other hand,
you could just rent the 25 ft one for $946 and perhaps not have to
sell your workshop equipment...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat

Huh? Texans don't believe that gov't shouldn't be telling your what to
do? Texan are the biggest group of "tell you what to do-ers" I've ever
seen !!!

Ever heard of anyone named Bush?
Have a family like mine
Keep the Mexicans out.
Be born again
Don't have an abortion
Don't have sex
Don't take drugs ... (but it was okay for W)
Take off your shoes at the airport
Evacuate New Orleans (oops, wait a minute, that's the one thing they
didn't say)
etc.

And of course there's "... stay out of Texas, we don't want your kind
here" and "try http://www.uhaul.com? Duhhh..."

From what I've seen of Texas politicos, it's the land of big gov't and

big deficits. Look at the national debt under the Bushes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

We are planning to move from the Midwest to a Western State, is it against the
law transporting gasoline, LPG or propane across States lines? How about 3
gallons of gas for emergency roadside use, one or two small full propane
canisters and two empty 20 lbs. LPG tanks.

Thank you for the informations.

You may be thinking of the rules of moving companies. After I had
packed, in fact the very day of the move, when the truck was almost
fully loaded, the owner of the moving van I had hired told me that not
only couldn't I put gasoline in his truck, I couldn't put any aerosol
cans at all either. I'm sure he didn't say that earlier, and I'm just
glad I had sense enough to lie (which is not what I normally do, but
we would have had to go through dozens of boxes looking for aerosol
paint and deoderant and shaving cream and kitchen stuff and propane.)
It was middle May and not hot. They finished loading at about 8PM and
started unloading at about 10AM after a 4 hour drive.

Anyhow, federal law prohibits moving vans from taking any of this
stuff across state lines, and maybe that's what you got you thinking
about this.

P&M, reply by post

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack CC
We are planning to move from the Midwest to a Western State, is it against the
law transporting gasoline, LPG or propane across States lines? How about 3
gallons of gas for emergency roadside use, one or two small full propane
canisters and two empty 20 lbs. LPG tanks.

Thank you for the informations.
Crossing state lines is not much of an issue as long as you use certified canisters. Some bridges and tunnels do not allow it so you may need to plan detours to avoid them.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"mm" wrote in message

Anyhow, federal law prohibits moving vans from taking any of this
stuff across state lines, and maybe that's what you got you thinking
about this.

DOT prevents it from being handled at all, not just crossing state lines.
In a car or pickup, you are allowed a maximum number of propane tanks too,
but I forget the amount, maybe 3 or 4.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Jack CC wrote:
On Tue, 09 May 2006 22:24:25 GMT, "PipeDown" wrote:

The quantities you say are perfectly fine to transport as long as you do it
safely in the first place.

I don't think I would store a gas can in an enclosed trailer for example or
even in the passenger compartment of your car but any other ventilated spot
like an open trailer would be fine.

LP is more tightly sealed, as long as it don't get too hot or banged around,
it is quite safe to transport.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments. I really appreciate it.

Safety and not breaking any laws are my main concern. We are very selective
in what to bring along, no furniture, except clothing's, bares essential and
some small woodworking power and hand tools, numerous boxes of odd and
ends. It's really heart breaking to sell the woodworking machineries.

Anyone experiences in truck rental? I am looking at U-Haul 14' or 17' truck and
not sure they're one-way.

Thanks again.

U-Haul, Ryder and several others are ALL in the ONE WAY long distance
truck rental market.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Anyone experiences in truck rental? I am looking at U-Haul 14' or 17' truck and
not sure they're one-way.

U-haul is usually one-way and will probably be the cheapest rental. As
others have suggested, www.uhaul.com is the logical place to start. Be
warned, I've driven multiple Uhauls and the vast majority of them are
uncomfortable, not well-cared for, and many even fall into the
dangerous category. I've rented Penske one way before, and thought it
was well worth the extra cost. The trucks are relatively new, have
diesel engines, and are well maintained.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"louie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anyone experiences in truck rental? I am looking at U-Haul 14' or 17'
truck and
not sure they're one-way.

U-haul is usually one-way and will probably be the cheapest rental. As
others have suggested, www.uhaul.com is the logical place to start. Be
warned, I've driven multiple Uhauls and the vast majority of them are
uncomfortable, not well-cared for, and many even fall into the
dangerous category. I've rented Penske one way before, and thought it
was well worth the extra cost. The trucks are relatively new, have
diesel engines, and are well maintained.

We used a U-Haul to move our office. As soon as we loaded the truck and
tried to start it, it wouldn't start. Turned out the prevoius renter had
filled the desel tank with regular gas. We had enough in the fuel line to
get from the lot to the office but after that it was dead dead.

If it had been a long move, U-Haul would have moved all the stuff into a new
truck for us, instead we just had it towed the 5 miles to the new office and
unloaded it there and let them come back for it the next day with the tow
truck again.

Moral: Crappy truck, good service

Another time, I rented a truck and returned the key and the contract through
the slot in the door when done as instructed. A bad employee used the CC#
on the contract to rent his friend another truck for a week and when the
bill showed up on my credit card, it took two weeks to get a refund. But
they did make good and filled a propane tank for me for free to make up for
the trouble. I did remind them that it was illegal to print the entire CC#
on a reciept but I don't know if they changed the computer to match.
Fortunately the thief didn't use it anywhere else, I did get a new card just
in case

Moral: Return the key, keep the paperwork