Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
James

Default Best Nails for Woodshed construction ?? P-T wood ratings ?

I am going to be building a woodshed next month. The primary stucture will
be pressure treated 4 X 6's, and the exterior will be covered with rough
sawn cedar. This woodshed will be built on skids, so that I could move it
a bit in the future if needed.

Here are my questions:

What are the best nails to use (type, and size ??)

I know with the new p-t wood, you are not supposed to use the regular
galvanized nails. Is double hot-dipped galvanized ok ? Isn't
stainless steel a bit of overkill? What about those coated nails ? Are
they good for the new p-t lumber ?

I will be doing some bracing, to give lateral stability, etc. Is it best
to use nails, or lag screws ?? If lag screws, what type and size would be
good ??

On some things that I have built before and that were touching the ground
or laying on the ground, I would use either .4 or .6 retention.
Does the new p-t wood have similar values ? What rating should I use on the
skids, that will always be in contact with the ground ?

Is it essential to apply preservative to any ends that I cut ?? If so,
what is a common name of this product ?

I know these are all very green questions, but I will enjoy and learn from
the responses.

Thank you !!!!!!!

--james--

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Bob Morrison

In a previous post James wrote...
I am going to be building a woodshed next month. The primary stucture will
be pressure treated 4 X 6's, and the exterior will be covered with rough
sawn cedar. This woodshed will be built on skids, so that I could move it
a bit in the future if needed.

James:

Here's some stuff from my standard structural notes:

Members in contact with concrete or ground (mud sill) shall be pressure
treated per AWPA C2 with a water-born treatment to a minimum retention of
0.40 pcf.

Pressure Treatment - AWPA Treatment C2, for fresh water use, ACQ, ACZA or
ACA, minimum retention = 0.60 lb/cu. ft.

--- Comment: If you can find it go for the heavier treatment

Above ground members exposed to weather (deck) shall be pressure treated
per AWPA C2 to a retention of 0.25 pcf. Embedded poles shall be pressure
treated per AWPA C23 for round poles to a retention of 0.60 pcf and AWPA
C24 for sawn poles to a retention of 0.80 pcf. Cuts and Holes in all
pressure treated members shall be treated after fabrication with 2% Copper
Napthenate in accordance with AWPA M4.

Connectors and fasteners for pressure treated wood shall be hot-dipped
galvanized or stainless steel in accordance with IBC Section 2304.9.5.

Hope that helps!

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
marson

that's a lot of questions.

for nails, i would use double hot dipped galvanized nails of
appropriate length. as a rule, nails should be twice as long as the
thickness of what you are nailing, and should penetrate the underlying
wood by a minimum of an inch. stainless steel is overkill for a
woodshed. the only place i would use them is if anything is nailed and
sitting on or below the ground. not sure what you mean by coated
nails.

for fastening the 4 bys, i would use the star drive lags. otherwise
3/8" lags long enough to get a good bite should be fine.

you can still get .60 treated, though i'm not sure if it CCA or what.
i would use for your skids.

if you have lightly treated wood (look at the endgrain of a cut and see
how deep the treatment goes) treating the endgrain may make it last
longer. but that step is typically not done by modern carpenters. so
it's not essential, no.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

"James" wrote in
news

[...]

I know with the new p-t wood...

What is "the new" pressure treated wood?
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Harry K

James wrote:
[...]

Using PT lumber for a woodshed for anything except members in contact
with the ground is way overkill. Others have given info on the nails.

Harry K

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
James

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am making notes.

I assume from Bob's post, that the (newer) p-t lumber still has the
retention ratings of things like .40 , .60 etc etc.

On the poster who asked what is the "new" p-t wood, I am talking about the
p-t process they use now that has a greater content of copper, and will
corrode regular galvanized nails. I think they started this new stuff about
two years ago.

What is a "star drive lag" ??

Thanks again guys !!!

--James--

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

"James" wrote in
news
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am making notes.

I assume from Bob's post, that the (newer) p-t lumber still has the
retention ratings of things like .40 , .60 etc etc.

On the poster who asked what is the "new" p-t wood, I am talking
about the p-t process they use now that has a greater content of
copper, and will corrode regular galvanized nails. I think they
started this new stuff about two years ago.

What is a "star drive lag" ??

Thanks again guys !!!

--James--

a greater content of copper, and will corrode regular galvanized nails.
I think they started this new stuff about two years ago.

Is this all PT lumber now? If not, how is the "new" stuff ID'd?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Bob Morrison

In a previous post James wrote...
I assume from Bob's post, that the (newer) p-t lumber still has the
retention ratings of things like .40 , .60 etc etc.

YES! The penetration values for the various chemicals used are the same.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Structural & Civil Engineering
Poulsbo WA
bob at rlmorrisonengr dot com
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Bob Morrison

In a previous post Al Bundy wrote...
Is this all PT lumber now? If not, how is the "new" stuff ID'd?

Should be a tag on the end with the type of treatment, chemicals used, and
the amount of chemical penetration.

--
Bob Morrison, PE, SE
R L Morrison Engineering Co
Structural & Civil Engineering
Poulsbo WA
bob at rlmorrisonengr dot com
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
DAC

What is a "star drive lag" ??

The star refers to the shape of the bit that fits the fastener. Just
as there's hex, square etc. Go to: http://www.grkfasteners.com
there's a ton of different types there.

FWIW -- star drive screws are expensive....almost scary in fact. But
-- once you can pull board together one handed with a a 1/2" drill with
no cam out of the bit, you'll understand. Any more, all exterior
construction get these screws. You'll have to find a lumber yard or
contractors source house to buy them.

Good luck,

DAC

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
DAC

Al,

Check out this article (not responsible for aimless surfing once you
enter this site ;-)
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00127.asp

DAC

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

Bob Morrison wrote in
k.net:

In a previous post Al Bundy wrote...
Is this all PT lumber now? If not, how is the "new" stuff ID'd?

Should be a tag on the end with the type of treatment, chemicals used,
and the amount of chemical penetration.

Haven't had to buy any for quite some time. I do recall looking at the
tags long ago and only just remember like it has .40 and about the
arsenic I believe it was.

Next HD run, have to take a gander to see a recent tag.

Thanks,
Al...
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

"DAC" wrote in news:1147182251.491651.200280
@i39g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Al,

Check out this article (not responsible for aimless surfing once you
enter this site ;-)
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00127.asp

DAC

Thanks DAC. Decent info.

not responsible for aimless surfing once you
enter this site ;-)

You weren't kidding!
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Jonny

"James" wrote in message
news

I am going to be building a woodshed next month. The primary stucture will
be pressure treated 4 X 6's, and the exterior will be covered with rough
sawn cedar. This woodshed will be built on skids, so that I could move
it
a bit in the future if needed.

Here are my questions:

What are the best nails to use (type, and size ??)

I know with the new p-t wood, you are not supposed to use the regular
galvanized nails. Is double hot-dipped galvanized ok ? Isn't
stainless steel a bit of overkill? What about those coated nails ? Are
they good for the new p-t lumber ?

Was using ACQ lumber on sole plate last garage I built, and landscaping
timbers for above ground garden soil retention, 4X4s for corner posts and
tensioning posts on a fence recently built, and 5X4s on porch deck. The
locals recommended not using: any standard box or common steel nails, and
some reported corrosion problems with some galvanized nails. First tried
stainless steel, which broke under some severe torque strain conditions
particularly the deck. Local Ace hardware store had some deck screws that
came with some star bit in the box. These screws have light tan color, are
not galvanized or stainless. Unable to run across any torque conditions
that broke these screws. This is what I'm sticking with for now on with ACQ
lumber fasteners.

I will be doing some bracing, to give lateral stability, etc. Is it
best
to use nails, or lag screws ?? If lag screws, what type and size would be
good ??

Same as above for fasteners.
I'd use a treated 1X4 at a minimum 45 degree angle on the outside walls,
cutout the corners and studs to accept it. 1X4 should terminate at the
bottom of the sole plate, and just below the very bottom of the last plate
on a doubled top plate. If you build the wall on the ground, square up the
wall first before cutting anything. Put a 2 screws spaced vertically in
each stud, and 2 screws spaced horizontally in each plate to attach the 1X4.

--
Jonny