Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
James

Default Best Nails for Woodshed construction ?? P-T wood ratings ?

I am going to be building a woodshed next month. The primary stucture will
be pressure treated 4 X 6's, and the exterior will be covered with rough
sawn cedar. This woodshed will be built on skids, so that I could move it
a bit in the future if needed.

Here are my questions:

What are the best nails to use (type, and size ??)

I know with the new p-t wood, you are not supposed to use the regular
galvanized nails. Is double hot-dipped galvanized ok ? Isn't
stainless steel a bit of overkill? What about those coated nails ? Are
they good for the new p-t lumber ?

I will be doing some bracing, to give lateral stability, etc. Is it best
to use nails, or lag screws ?? If lag screws, what type and size would be
good ??

On some things that I have built before and that were touching the ground
or laying on the ground, I would use either .4 or .6 retention.
Does the new p-t wood have similar values ? What rating should I use on the
skids, that will always be in contact with the ground ?

Is it essential to apply preservative to any ends that I cut ?? If so,
what is a common name of this product ?

I know these are all very green questions, but I will enjoy and learn from
the responses.

Thank you !!!!!!!

--james--