Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Jonny

Default Best Nails for Woodshed construction ?? P-T wood ratings ?

"James" wrote in message
news

I am going to be building a woodshed next month. The primary stucture will
be pressure treated 4 X 6's, and the exterior will be covered with rough
sawn cedar. This woodshed will be built on skids, so that I could move
it
a bit in the future if needed.

Here are my questions:

What are the best nails to use (type, and size ??)

I know with the new p-t wood, you are not supposed to use the regular
galvanized nails. Is double hot-dipped galvanized ok ? Isn't
stainless steel a bit of overkill? What about those coated nails ? Are
they good for the new p-t lumber ?

Was using ACQ lumber on sole plate last garage I built, and landscaping
timbers for above ground garden soil retention, 4X4s for corner posts and
tensioning posts on a fence recently built, and 5X4s on porch deck. The
locals recommended not using: any standard box or common steel nails, and
some reported corrosion problems with some galvanized nails. First tried
stainless steel, which broke under some severe torque strain conditions
particularly the deck. Local Ace hardware store had some deck screws that
came with some star bit in the box. These screws have light tan color, are
not galvanized or stainless. Unable to run across any torque conditions
that broke these screws. This is what I'm sticking with for now on with ACQ
lumber fasteners.

I will be doing some bracing, to give lateral stability, etc. Is it
best
to use nails, or lag screws ?? If lag screws, what type and size would be
good ??

Same as above for fasteners.
I'd use a treated 1X4 at a minimum 45 degree angle on the outside walls,
cutout the corners and studs to accept it. 1X4 should terminate at the
bottom of the sole plate, and just below the very bottom of the last plate
on a doubled top plate. If you build the wall on the ground, square up the
wall first before cutting anything. Put a 2 screws spaced vertically in
each stud, and 2 screws spaced horizontally in each plate to attach the 1X4.

--
Jonny