Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

Default Best Nails for Woodshed construction ?? P-T wood ratings ?

"James" wrote in
news

I am going to be building a woodshed next month. The primary stucture
will be pressure treated 4 X 6's, and the exterior will be covered
with rough sawn cedar. This woodshed will be built on skids, so
that I could move it a bit in the future if needed.

Here are my questions:

What are the best nails to use (type, and size ??)

I know with the new p-t wood, you are not supposed to use the regular
galvanized nails. Is double hot-dipped galvanized ok ? Isn't
stainless steel a bit of overkill? What about those coated nails ?
Are they good for the new p-t lumber ?

I will be doing some bracing, to give lateral stability, etc. Is it
best to use nails, or lag screws ?? If lag screws, what type and size
would be good ??

On some things that I have built before and that were touching the
ground or laying on the ground, I would use either .4 or .6
retention. Does the new p-t wood have similar values ? What rating
should I use on the skids, that will always be in contact with the
ground ?

Is it essential to apply preservative to any ends that I cut ?? If
so, what is a common name of this product ?

I know these are all very green questions, but I will enjoy and learn
from the responses.

Thank you !!!!!!!

--james--

I know with the new p-t wood...

What is "the new" pressure treated wood?