Posted to alt.home.repair
46erjoe

Default Black ants - How to get rid of them

Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?
Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Try and determine where they are entering the house and *treat* that
area with mixture of borax and powdered sugar.

Posted to alt.home.repair

i use terro ant poison on ants.most home stores sell it. they eat it
and die. dont spray anymore, just feed'em terro.a mix of boric acid
(found at walmart pharmacy area) and sugar mix kills ants to. i mix one
part boric acid to 9 parts pancake syrup. but any syrup will do.some
guys mis dry sugar with it.. ive seen guys sprinkle boric acid around
and the ants/termites walk on it, lick it off and die.. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Mon, 08 May 2006 14:44:31 GMT, 46erjoe
wrote:

Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?

Mix small amounts of boric acid with fruit preserves (strawberry),
place it in a bottle cap and then strategically place them in and
behind cabinets.

Oren

excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair

46erjoe wrote:

Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?

Trust me

Buy this stuff at walmart

http://www.terro.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"46erjoe" wrote in message
Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?

In addition to the other advice you've gotten, empty your kitchen cabinets
and clean. Pay special attention to containers of stuff with powerful
smells, like molasses, maple syrup, peanut butter, etc. Sometimes, those
container have a drip or two down the side, and that's enough to attract
ants from halfway across town. Replace shelf paper that probably also smells
like food.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No

46erjoe wrote:
Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?

All the other posters have suggested bait/poison or poison alone.

A better suggestion, in my experience, is to eliminate their food
sources! Clean up, keep things clean, wipe up the sink after use and
keep it dry. Wipe down the couter, keep the floors clean. Keep all food
in sealed containers. Wash the dog bowl or cat food bowl. Do not leave
out pet food (in bowl or bags). If the ants do not have something to
eat/drink they will go elsewhere.

So - clean up and they will go away. After you clean you can spray some
raid for ants around your baseboards and such to speed up the process.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar

In article ,
says...
Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?

I am guessing you are dealing with Odorous House Ants...smash one and
it should give off a perfumed odor. If so they will not have an ant bed
like most ants, but are little nomads moving from spot to spot usually
near moisture. The colony may be a few dozen or many thousands and the
ants you see foraging inside will be only a fraction of the nest
population so baiting for them can take a while to control the ant nest,
but can give you short termed success on the ones invading the home.
They do seem to accept terro rather readily and that is easy for you to
find. Look around the foundation of the home, more than likely you will
come across them trailing and many times they will have their
larvae/pupas with them and can be attacked with any general insecticide.
Also look for nests under leaf matter or rocks & wood against or near
the home, once again when the nest is located zap them out. Unless you
are in New York, a pro could treat the foundation with a product called
Termidor and would put a stop to them and any other species of ant that
will invade the home probably for the rest of the year, probably costing
$50-$75.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

The Terro product suggestion often works very well. The bait is
placed on small squares of cardboard here ants have been seen. In
less than a day, you will see hundreds of ants at the bait and taking
it back to the colony. In 2-3 days you won't see any. Do not spray.
Put the bait where pets/children can't access it. I found this
product to work better than ant traps.

wrote:

Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield

Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the
wood eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are
looking for food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or
so each day. They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but
we find them here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement
along the outside wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found
any hills in our lawn. Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I
do?

I use Fantastic soap spray, since I don't want to use poisons in the
kitchen.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

46erjoe wrote:
Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?

Had lots of rain? One reason they look for new homes, although they
tend to invade in spring - probably expanding existing nests. I would
vacuum and clean the kitchen well, especially spilled sweets and greasy
residue. Pet food bowls are good feeding place. I have never had ants
persist after good cleaning and putting down a boric acid bait. No
super poison needed. Don't try to kill what is in the yard - they
belong there, along with flies, bees, termites, spiders, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Stootzmann

I had a problem about 4 years ago. Used Terro and I've never had the
problem since.

Terro has packages of 6 indoor traps -- put them all around inside the house
and basement. This year I've seen Terro kits for outdoors at 3 per
package -- always before I would put the indoor traps outdoors but this year
I'm trying the new outdoor packages. So far working quite well. I've
placed about 9 of em all around my foundation outdoors.

wrote in message
46erjoe wrote:

Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?

Trust me

Buy this stuff at walmart

http://www.terro.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

"46erjoe" wrote in message
Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?

When we had our house treated with Termidor the ants left . Once in a while
I will see some in the cracks of the driveway but they are soon gone. Its
been 5 years and still no more ants.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

I got a couple bottles of liquid ant bait from www.gardensalive.com
and put it out. No ants since then.
http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=8695 is the link.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

" wrote in
message .. .

"46erjoe" wrote in message
Our home is 5 years old. We are plagued with black ants. Not the

wood
eating kind, but the smaller but pesky black ones that are looking

for
food. We kill them as we find them, usually a dozen or so each day.
They seem to be concentrated in the kitchen area, but we find them
here and there too. I sprayed Raid in the basement along the outside
wall plate. But no luck so far. I haven't found any hills in our

lawn.
Short of hiring an eradicator, what can I do?

When we had our house treated with Termidor the ants left . Once in a
while
I will see some in the cracks of the driveway but they are soon gone.
Its
been 5 years and still no more ants.

Origin of Hex Head Nuts/bolts? CWLee Metalworking 57 August 10th 17 01:09 AM
help -- winged carpenter ants!! [email protected] Home Repair 20 June 10th 05 02:45 PM
big black ants jay Home Repair 10 May 6th 05 03:24 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Walnut and Black Walnut Lumber? Leon Woodworking 43 November 26th 04 11:07 PM