Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Insulation/venting $ estimate: about right?

I live in RI and just got an insulation/roof vent estimate to try to
cool down my converted attic space for the summer. as it stands it's
got some insulation but some spots don't have any. that's to be
corrected. and, it has no venting whatsoever. his plan won't make the
space cool but he thinks it'll fix things enuf so that an AC will make
the area liveable. (last summer, i ran two ac's and even together it
was boiling hot and we're talking about a 600 sq ft area.)

anyway, where it needs it he's going to reinsulate the kneewall floors
with blown-in cellulose to r38; install four roof vents and 2 small
round gable vents; and insulate the 5 kneewall doors with "special
reflecting insulation," whatever that is. all-done price: $1459.

what do you think? (and what's with this 1459? why not 1460?)

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Why $19.95 and not $20.00. He probably wants you to think it is his
best possible price. I would call someone else if you are concerned
about the price, you might get a better price or a better method. Ask
one of your neghbors with a similar style house to see what they did.

Cheaper is not always better, when I had my floors refinished I went
with the most expensive of three guys because he seemed to be the most
honest and knowledgeable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

well, actually, there's no one else to really call. i mean, i could
get estimates on the vents, from roofers; but there are no other
insulation contractors around, as near as i can tell, and i've looked.
that's why i posted here, to see if someone had a sense of the price
being within reason ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

hate to do this but ... bump! anyone got ideas?