Posted to alt.home.repair
help!

Default Toilet Problems/Questions

I'm a complete illiterate when it comes to fixing things. My husband
isn't much better than I
:-)

We bought a brand new home 7 years ago and have had a few problems over
the years with clogged toilets from time to time;nothing that a plunger
couldn't fix. As the years have passed, we now have ongoing clogging
issues with all 3 toilets; one downstairs and two upstairs. I bought a
snake before calling plumber to see if that mighth help; but it didn't.

I called a plumber. For 150 dollars he told me that we have 3 cheap
toilets and he'll unclog them and they're guaranteed for a week. Yep,
7 flippin days for 150 bucks. What a deal. One of them clogged in two
days and the guy returned. Now all 3 keep clogging and our plunger
travels from bathroom to bathroom several times a week. He suggested
that we need new toilets.

Here comes the questions:
Is it possible that we need 3 new toilets or is likely that something
else is going on?
Is it hard for inexperienced people like my husband and I to install
new toilets (the going rate seems to be about 150 per toilet for
installation?
Does one have to spend 500 dollars on a freakin toilet to have it not
clog?
Does it make sense to have all 3 done at once or should we start with
one and see if the problem gets solved and then do the other two? Or
if we get someone to come out and install one, would it be cheaper to
have all 3 done?

We don't have a few thousand dollars sitting around to get this done
and I want to make the wisest choice possible. I looked at Lowes.com
and homedepot.com and the amount of toilets available for purchase are
just too overwhelming for me. I can barely choose between paper or
plastic at the grocery store. I have some challenging health issues
going on in my life and just can't be bothered with this "****", so to
speak :-)

Any ideas, suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

id pull the stoppin toilet and pour a big bucket of water down the
drain pipe,if it goes right down then the problem is in the toilet.. if
the toilet is clogging in itself, get a closet auger at home depot and
clear them yourself.... i do know if the vent pipe is clogged on the
roof it can slow down flushing..ive taken a garden hose and ran it down
as far as i could to get the vent open..if the holes under the toilet
rim get closed offf youll get problems pushing the waste thru the
toilet,,use a nail to clean the holes out.. . lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

help! wrote:

I'm a complete illiterate when it comes to fixing things. My husband
isn't much better than I
:-)

We bought a brand new home 7 years ago and have had a few problems over
the years with clogged toilets from time to time;nothing that a plunger
couldn't fix.

SNIP

Change brand of toilet paper.

The soft tissues tend to "clump" (tech term)
in newer toilets.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"help!" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Switch the paper to Scott 1000. Those thick, soft papers that say
delicate and so forth will clog much more often. Add fiber to your diet.
Whole grains, fruits, nuts, lots of veggies. You'll need less paper and
you'll be healthier.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 29 Apr 2006 10:34:39 -0700, "help!" wrote:

I'm a complete illiterate when it comes to fixing things. My husband
isn't much better than I
:-)

There are a lot of posts to this newsgroup about stuffed toilets. I'd
read a lot of them iiwere you. Go to groups.google.com and then to
clogged toilet should be good search terms for one of the word
fields, iirc.

We bought a brand new home 7 years ago and have had a few problems over
the years with clogged toilets from time to time;nothing that a plunger

I can barely choose between paper or
plastic at the grocery store. I have some challenging health issues
going on in my life and just can't be bothered with this "****", so to

What do you gain by putting the word in quotes? It's just as vulgar
as it was before.

speak :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Maybe try replacing one toilet first. American Standard has a good rep with
this newsgroup. Talk to friends at work. I am sure someone knows how to do
it and would be happy to help for a dinner.

"help!" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

help! wrote:
I'm a complete illiterate when it comes to fixing things. My husband
isn't much better than I
:-)

We bought a brand new home 7 years ago and have had a few problems
over the years with clogged toilets from time to time;nothing that a
plunger couldn't fix. As the years have passed, we now have ongoing
clogging issues with all 3 toilets; one downstairs and two upstairs.
I bought a snake before calling plumber to see if that mighth help;
but it didn't.

Somehow I suspect that you now have a clogged drain or vent, that could
effect all three. I suppose that it could also be something in the toilet
that is now failing since they are all about the same age and type.

In any case you need to find out which it really is and either the
plumber is not telling you or you have not been able to convey it to us.

If you really trust the plumber (frankly if everything is just as you
say, I would not trust him,) then ask for a careful explanation of exactly
what is wrong. Write it down word for word and come back.

I suspect you need a new plumber, but I really can't say.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
help!

RobertM wrote:
"help!" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Two out of three of us are vegetarians (in fact, almost vegan) and I
use the recycled one ply paper (nothing cushy or thick in this house!)
We use cloth napkins too :-) My husband is the junk food king and
there's no changing him.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Spud

"help!" wrote in message
ups.com...

Two out of three of us are vegetarians (in fact, almost vegan) and I
use the recycled one ply paper (nothing cushy or thick in this house!)
We use cloth napkins too :-) My husband is the junk food king and
there's no changing him.

maybe the blue goo
http://www.toiletology.com/blue-goo.shtml

Posted to alt.home.repair
help!

Spud wrote:
"help!" wrote in message
ups.com...

Two out of three of us are vegetarians (in fact, almost vegan) and I
use the recycled one ply paper (nothing cushy or thick in this house!)
We use cloth napkins too :-) My husband is the junk food king and
there's no changing him.

maybe the blue goo
http://www.toiletology.com/blue-goo.shtml

Never bought the stuff in my life. We're kind of a natural remedy type
of family. Well, I am at least and I take care of the house. I"ll see
if my husband can use that snake on all of the toilets and then try the
idea of removing the toilet and checking out what's going on with one
of them. It is odd that all 3 are screwed up at the same time.

Posted to alt.home.repair
help!

mm wrote:
On 29 Apr 2006 10:34:39 -0700, "help!" wrote:

I'm a complete illiterate when it comes to fixing things. My husband
isn't much better than I
:-)

There are a lot of posts to this newsgroup about stuffed toilets. I'd
read a lot of them iiwere you. Go to groups.google.com and then to
clogged toilet should be good search terms for one of the word
fields, iirc.

We bought a brand new home 7 years ago and have had a few problems over
the years with clogged toilets from time to time;nothing that a plunger

I can barely choose between paper or
plastic at the grocery store. I have some challenging health issues
going on in my life and just can't be bothered with this "****", so to

What do you gain by putting the word in quotes? It's just as vulgar
as it was before.

It's a play on words aka a double entendre. Sorry if you think the
word "****" is vulgar. Next time I'll write "doo doo" for you.
Lighten up.

speak :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try flushing each toliet with a full bucket of water....

If it flushhes OK the the plumbing in the home is OK, the problem is in
the toilet/s

If it still plugs the troubles are in the sewer system, probably a
clogged vent.

Do you have hard water? If bucket flush is OK the internal water
passages are likely clogged and theres a easy cheap fix for this.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Muvin Gruvin

bought this brand new home in 97. Same problem. Plumber installed a
new Kohler toilet. His comment was the builder installed cheap toilets
and nothing wrong with a cheap toilet but they usually have a smaller
outlet thus the clogging problem. Ever since he put in the new toilet
never had a problem. Since I only have 2 bathrooms and live alone only
replaced one toilet so far. It did not cost me much....prbly less the
$175 as I recall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Muvin Gruvin wrote:
bought this brand new home in 97. Same problem. Plumber installed a
new Kohler toilet. His comment was the builder installed cheap toilets
and nothing wrong with a cheap toilet but they usually have a smaller
outlet thus the clogging problem.

Very true. Who decides on what house to by based on the quality of the
toilet (even some fancy looking ones are really poor quality)

That "outlet" talked about is the trap and it should be over 2" and it
also should be "fully glazed"

Ever since he put in the new toilet
never had a problem. Since I only have 2 bathrooms and live alone only
replaced one toilet so far. It did not cost me much....prbly less the
$175 as I recall.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cheap toilets kinda depend....

If never a problem till now.... NEW PROBLEM

If always a problem, probably would of been fixed by now

Posted to alt.home.repair

i hear real plumbers say **** all the time....among other things

Posted to alt.home.repair
unknown

On 30 Apr 2006 10:08:02 -0700, "help!" wrote:

mm wrote:
[...]

Some people have this very strange idea that the word you use for
something has some effect on that thing. Words are nothing but
communication codes (supposedly with agreed-on interpretations) and
have no effect at all themselves.

Among other things, "bathroom tissue", "toilet paper", and "asshole
wipers" are all exactly the same thing.

speak :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
C & E

snip

I"ll see if my husband can use that snake on all of the toilets and then
try the
idea of removing the toilet and checking out what's going on with one
of them. It is odd that all 3 are screwed up at the same time.

It's not odd if all of the toilets are the same make and model which is of a
poor design. You could look up your unit here -
http://www.cwwa.ca/pdf_files/MaP%206...010%202006.pdf
That's where I got the idea that the American Standard Champion was a high
performance toilet and will be buying one next week for our remodel. If I
were having as much trouble as you I would begina a systematic replacement
beginning with the most used units first.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Craven Morehead

To "Help",

There's a good possibility your problem is not a clog, but is just poor
flushing action. If so, I'm going to tell you how to fix your problem.

You should understand it has been caused by your meddling government, hell
bent on solving a problem that possibly never really existed (surprise!).
The law requires commode manufacturers to make their products use a minimum
amount of water per flush. Most have not been able to accomplish this
reliably. "Tough ****" you might say ;-)

Now pay attention, grasshopper. The amount of water "dumped" into the bowl
at each flush is controlled by the flapper / flush valve. Remove the tank
lid and gaze inward. The flush lever is connected to a small chain which is
used to lift the flush valve. This rubber valve is designed to close when a
minimum amount of water has been released into the bowl. Unfortunately, the
minimum amount... is not enough.

REPLACE this valve! Visit the "holy H" and secure a replacement flapper
valve. Do NOT get an exact replacement. The one you currently have may
have a small float attached to the chain, just above the flapper. Don't need
it.
Your current flapper may have been made with a small hole in it's underside.
We definitely don't want that. Buy a new one without the hole. Follow the
package instructions (you CAN do this).

You can thank me later.

"help!" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Toilet drain runs 15 feet... Bob Home Repair 21 March 1st 06 06:06 PM
Slow flushing toilet: Vent stack? TeGGeR® Home Repair 12 March 1st 06 02:00 AM
toilet back up nogggin Home Repair 12 February 11th 06 11:17 PM
wax free toilet seal - experiences? AAB Home Repair 18 March 3rd 04 01:05 AM
Run on toilet paper predicted Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 October 30th 03 07:48 PM