Posted to alt.home.repair
Boothbay

Default Water keeps overflowing in washer

I have a brand new washer...at times when it drains after a spin or
whatever, water overflows on to the basement floor. I have an "L" shape
drain pipe that was there before I bought the house. The hose is cupped
into the opening where its suppose to drain, which is connected to my
main drain. Had plumber clean out the pipes this past summer. I was
there and he did an excellent job that I rewarded him with a small
bonus, that's how satified I was in his effort. Is it too much soap,
too much water, too little water...I keep getting conflicting
statements from relatives and neighbors. Now, i have a 5 gallon pail
just under the pipe in order for it too catch the overflow, but it
completely overflows the pail too. I do have a basement drain in the
concrete floor close by, should I just let it drain that way? I know it
can be done, but it doesn't seem to be the right way, and the drain is
a dry well...so the water will drain, but takes long. I do a lot of
traveling and so its just me using it and its about once every 3 or 4
weeks being used...sometimes even longer than that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So your drain isnt taking the washer water fast enough

Have you tried drano or liquid plumber down the offending drain line?
put down a couple gallns wait 12 hours then do laundry. your sewer has
a problem somewhere.

you cant just lay the drain hose on the floor it will drain all the
time.

if all else fails obstructing the drain line exit fitting just a little
might better match the washer to the sewer but i would get the plumber
back

If all else fails

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson

"Boothbay" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have a brand new washer...at times when it drains after a spin or
whatever, water overflows on to the basement floor. I have an "L" shape
drain pipe that was there before I bought the house. The hose is cupped
into the opening where its suppose to drain, which is connected to my
main drain. Had plumber clean out the pipes this past summer. I was
there and he did an excellent job that I rewarded him with a small
bonus, that's how satified I was in his effort. Is it too much soap,
too much water, too little water...I keep getting conflicting
statements from relatives and neighbors. Now, i have a 5 gallon pail
just under the pipe in order for it too catch the overflow, but it
completely overflows the pail too. I do have a basement drain in the
concrete floor close by, should I just let it drain that way? I know it

No: this is a brand new washer so call the
vendors immediately and have them replace
it. (There is probably some assembly defect,
e.g. a part fitted backwards. Since the washer
otherwise functions OK, it might be hard for a
repairman to spot. But you paid for a new washer
in good running order.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 22 Apr 2006 12:35:28 -0700, "Boothbay" wrote:

I have a brand new washer...at times when it drains after a spin or
whatever, water overflows on to the basement floor. I have an "L" shape
drain pipe that was there before I bought the house. The hose is cupped
into the opening where its suppose to drain, which is connected to my
main drain. Had plumber clean out the pipes this past summer. I was
there and he did an excellent job that I rewarded him with a small
bonus, that's how satified I was in his effort. Is it too much soap,

Too much soap might leave bubbles, but the water part will still
drain.

AIUI, laundry detergents didn't make bubbles at all, but people didn't
like that, so 40 or 50 years ago they put in something to make a few
bubbles (but less than soap would) so people could have some idea of
how much detergent they added and because it's "the bubbles that do
the cleaning" heehee. Hence the term "scrubbing bubbles", heehee.

too much water, too little water...I keep getting conflicting
statements from relatives and neighbors. Now, i have a 5 gallon pail
just under the pipe in order for it too catch the overflow, but it
completely overflows the pail too. I do have a basement drain in the
concrete floor close by, should I just let it drain that way? I know it
can be done, but it doesn't seem to be the right way, and the drain is
a dry well...so the water will drain, but takes long. I do a lot of
traveling and so its just me using it and its about once every 3 or 4
weeks being used...sometimes even longer than that.

The pipe cleaner might have done an excellent job but it might be
clogged again. (How do you know he did an excellent job.)

Some people drailn their washing machine straight into a pipe, and I
guess it is not surprising if that pipe can handle as much water as
the hose from the machine that is a smaller diameter.

I drain my machine into a laundry tub, and the drain can't keep up
with the water. So the tub fills to a point about a foot above the
bottom of the tub. By then the machine is empty and in a few minutes
so is the tub. Does that mean my drain is clogged? It's been like
tyhis since the house was 4 years old and maybe even longer, and it
hasn't changed in 23 years. I do my best to keep lint out of the
drain** but maybe your drain got clogged with lint.

**(because sometimes the stream overflows and the sewer backs up, and
I don't want to clog the check valve I put in, although I think it
already is. (I keep the tub plugged and weighted when not in use.) I
use a perforated plastic pipe about 6 inches long that goes into the
tub drain. There are smaller holes at the bottom, but the holes get
bigger at the top because the notion is, More important to drain than
to overflow, even if some lint gets in the pipe. After the water is 6
inches deep, the hole is the top of the pipe (not the sides)which is
as big as the pipe itself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I seriously doubt any machine malfunction can make the machine drain
too fast. The trouble is the sewer line is undersized or clogged...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

If you need to have a plumber come out and there is space for it, you could
ask if he could install a laundry tub which is nice to have for other
reasons.

"Boothbay" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

wrote in message
oups.com...
I seriously doubt any machine malfunction can make the machine drain
too fast. The trouble is the sewer line is undersized or clogged...

I agree with you. Plus the newer washers use a low pressure/high capacity
pump rather than the old high pressure/low capacity pumps. A lot of older
houses won't handle the new washers unless the pipes are increased in size.
Of course there is the possibility that lint from the old washer has
hardened and clogged the trap for the washer as the OP said that he travels
a lot and doesn't use the washer every day. The trap could be drying out in
the 4 wks or so he is on the road and leaving the lint accumulating.
Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Boothbay

If you need to have a plumber come out and there is space for it, you
could
ask if he could install a laundry tub which is nice to have for other
reasons.

Thats an interesting concept...a tub. Unfortunately, I do not have that
luxury of space. BTW, where would the drain of the tub be? The same one
that is giving me a problem now?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom G

"Boothbay" wrote in message
ups.com...
If you need to have a plumber come out and there is space for it, you
could
ask if he could install a laundry tub which is nice to have for other
reasons.

Thats an interesting concept...a tub. Unfortunately, I do not have that
luxury of space. BTW, where would the drain of the tub be? The same one
that is giving me a problem now?

If you had the room, the advantage is that the tub will hold a whole washer
load of water and then allow it to drain at the drain line's speed.

Tom G.