Posted to alt.home.repair
gayadele

Default replacement glass for patio table

How do I find a replacement piece of glass for patio table--hexagon, 52" X
52"? I have not been able to find a replacement and now sure where to
look or resources to check. I would appreciate any help. Thanks Gay
Johnson, Edmonds, WA.

Gay Johnson
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

gayadele wrote:
How do I find a replacement piece of glass for patio table--hexagon, 52" X
52"? I have not been able to find a replacement and now sure where to
look or resources to check. I would appreciate any help. Thanks Gay
Johnson, Edmonds, WA.

Gay Johnson

Take the table to a glass shop and they will cut one for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ron" wrote in message

Take the table to a glass shop and they will cut one for you.

True, but it may be cheaper to buy a new table from China by the boatload
than a singe custom cut tempered glass.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

Take the table to a glass shop and they will cut one for you.

True, but it may be cheaper to buy a new table from China by the boatload
than a singe custom cut tempered glass.

It doesn't have to be tempered. Safer yes, but not required. If no
children are gonna be around it I wouldn't worry about it. 1/4" plate
glass lying flat inside a framed table is pretty hard to break. And if
safety is a concern, you could always have clear safety backing applied.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ron" wrote in message

It doesn't have to be tempered. Safer yes, but not required. If no
children are gonna be around it I wouldn't worry about it. 1/4" plate
glass lying flat inside a framed table is pretty hard to break. And if
safety is a concern, you could always have clear safety backing applied.

Outdoor it should be tempered. Forget kids, what about a tree limb or flying
debris? Ask any glass seller. That is still going to be a very expensive
piece of glass. A ball park for a 4' rectangle at a local place is $145.
Make it into a hex and the price would roughly double.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

"John?] "
wrote in message
. net...
A friend of mine saved a few bucks by replacing the broken tempered
glass in his patio table with 1/4 plate glass.

He spent a lot more bucks stitching up his wifes legs when he dropped a
pitcher of iced tea on the table.

Should have used 1/2" plate glass... Or maybe 1" (13.5 lbs/sq-ft)...

--
Real Jeeps have Real Rifle Racks...
http://home.houston.rr.com/grumman581/real-jeeps

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen

"Grumman-581" writes:

"John?] "
wrote in message
. net...
A friend of mine saved a few bucks by replacing the broken tempered
glass in his patio table with 1/4 plate glass.

He spent a lot more bucks stitching up his wifes legs when he dropped a
pitcher of iced tea on the table.

Should have used 1/2" plate glass... Or maybe 1" (13.5 lbs/sq-ft)...

Why, would that amputate the legs completely?

I could usually give a s___ about this safety stuff but this
seems like one of those times you should care.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

It doesn't have to be tempered. Safer yes, but not required. If no
children are gonna be around it I wouldn't worry about it. 1/4" plate
glass lying flat inside a framed table is pretty hard to break. And if
safety is a concern, you could always have clear safety backing applied.

Outdoor it should be tempered. Forget kids, what about a tree limb or flying
debris? Ask any glass seller. That is still going to be a very expensive
piece of glass. A ball park for a 4' rectangle at a local place is $145.
Make it into a hex and the price would roughly double

Whatever......Get back to me when you have 26 yrs in the glass business.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron

John‰]
wrote:
In article .com, Ron
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

Take the table to a glass shop and they will cut one for you.

True, but it may be cheaper to buy a new table from China by the boatload
than a singe custom cut tempered glass.

It doesn't have to be tempered. Safer yes, but not required. If no
children are gonna be around it I wouldn't worry about it. 1/4" plate
glass lying flat inside a framed table is pretty hard to break. And if
safety is a concern, you could always have clear safety backing applied.

A friend of mine saved a few bucks by replacing the broken tempered
glass in his patio table with 1/4 plate glass.

He spent a lot more bucks stitching up his wifes legs when he dropped a
pitcher of iced tea on the table.

This is one of those cases where it's just not worth it; spend a few
extra bucks on tempered glass or buy a new table, but don't even
consider putting plate in it.

John

When you buy an outdoor table of the size in question, the glass is
(usually) not tempered....And it is highly unlikely that a "dropped"
pitcher of tea would break a piece of 1/4" plate unless it had a
"score" underneath it. And even then, I would question HOW the pitcher
got "dropped".

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Ron" wrote in message
ups.com...

John?]
wrote:
In article .com, Ron
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

[...]

What, you never butterfingered a condensation-covered pitcher on a hot day?
Personally, I never understood the appeal of the glass tops for patio
tables- always ends up looking dingy, a major PITA to keep clean,
especiallly on the bottom, etc. A 56" hex, if the frame was in good shape
and I liked it, I would be tempted to lay a piece of metal in there, and
cover the top with tile squares cut to lay in a mosaic pattern, or even a
couple pieces of solid-surface. But I would also price a new table. My
current table was a end-of-garage sale curbside freebie, because the
previous owner didn't feel like painting it again. Expanded metal mesh top.
Yeah, I need to spend an hour with the wire wheel and then degrease, and
then spray or brush with Rustoleum, but it is still usable as is. I may get
around to painting it this summer.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"ameijers" wrote in message
John

When you buy an outdoor table of the size in question, the glass is
(usually) not tempered....

Not true. Only a fool would buy a non tempered glass for a table top.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=spe#tab

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=spe#tab

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=spe#tab

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4244442

http://www.kmart.com/catalog/product... tegoryId=466

http://www.kmart.com/catalog/product... tegoryId=466

You may find this interesting also.
http://www.glasstopsdirect.com/faqs.php
3. Does the glass need to be tempered?
The ½" and ¾" inch thick glass tops do not need to be tempered. We do
however; recommend 3/8" thick glass tops to be tempered for extra strength.
All of our 3/8" thick glass tops are tempered.

http://www.eco-furniture.com/docs/li...ffeetable.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do I find a replacement piece of glass for patio table--hexagon, 52" X 52"?

One of my friends had the glass in his patio table shatter (apparently
just due to cold temperatures?) Anyway, he found it cheaper to buy a
bunch of 3/4" x 4" pine, 2 colors of stain, and a new blade for his
miter saw than having the glass replaced. (He did sort of concentric
rectangles, with the edges and middle stained light gray and the rest
dark gray - sounds weird, but it matches the set well, and I wouldn't
worry about dropping a pitcher of iced tea on it). It would have been
about the same price for him to buy a whole new patio set as to have
glass custom cut.
Just an idea,
Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:13:05 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

"Grumman-581" writes:

"John?] "
wrote in message
. net...
A friend of mine saved a few bucks by replacing the broken tempered
glass in his patio table with 1/4 plate glass.

He spent a lot more bucks stitching up his wifes legs when he dropped a
pitcher of iced tea on the table.

Should have used 1/2" plate glass... Or maybe 1" (13.5 lbs/sq-ft)...

Why, would that amputate the legs completely?

I could usually give a s___ about this safety stuff but this
seems like one of those times you should care.

If you're actually worried about that sort of thing,
you should give up on the glass entirely, use acrylic,
and learn how to polish out scratches.