Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

Default replacement glass for patio table

"Ron" wrote in message
ups.com...

John?]
wrote:
In article .com, Ron
wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message

Take the table to a glass shop and they will cut one for you.

True, but it may be cheaper to buy a new table from China by the

boatload
than a singe custom cut tempered glass.

It doesn't have to be tempered. Safer yes, but not required. If no
children are gonna be around it I wouldn't worry about it. 1/4" plate
glass lying flat inside a framed table is pretty hard to break. And if
safety is a concern, you could always have clear safety backing applied.

A friend of mine saved a few bucks by replacing the broken tempered
glass in his patio table with 1/4 plate glass.

He spent a lot more bucks stitching up his wifes legs when he dropped a
pitcher of iced tea on the table.

This is one of those cases where it's just not worth it; spend a few
extra bucks on tempered glass or buy a new table, but don't even
consider putting plate in it.

John

When you buy an outdoor table of the size in question, the glass is
(usually) not tempered....And it is highly unlikely that a "dropped"
pitcher of tea would break a piece of 1/4" plate unless it had a
"score" underneath it. And even then, I would question HOW the pitcher
got "dropped".

What, you never butterfingered a condensation-covered pitcher on a hot day?
Personally, I never understood the appeal of the glass tops for patio
tables- always ends up looking dingy, a major PITA to keep clean,
especiallly on the bottom, etc. A 56" hex, if the frame was in good shape
and I liked it, I would be tempted to lay a piece of metal in there, and
cover the top with tile squares cut to lay in a mosaic pattern, or even a
couple pieces of solid-surface. But I would also price a new table. My
current table was a end-of-garage sale curbside freebie, because the
previous owner didn't feel like painting it again. Expanded metal mesh top.
Yeah, I need to spend an hour with the wire wheel and then degrease, and
then spray or brush with Rustoleum, but it is still usable as is. I may get
around to painting it this summer.

aem sends...