Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Jones

Default Tile installation mess disposal?

I'm considering having contractors replace some carpet and vinyl flooring
with tile. Possibly also re-tile an existing kitchen counter and shower.
I heard they have to use a lot of water to install and cut the tiles. The
contaminated water is not allowed to be poured into the drains or sewers
here, so what are the tile contractors supposed to do with all that water?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Dan Jones wrote:

I'm considering having contractors replace some carpet and vinyl flooring
with tile. Possibly also re-tile an existing kitchen counter and shower.
I heard they have to use a lot of water to install and cut the tiles. The
contaminated water is not allowed to be poured into the drains or sewers
here, so what are the tile contractors supposed to do with all that water?

Contaminated with what? Ceramic dust and grout residue would not be
considered contaminants in any remotely sane area. If you are in an
insane area (CA perhaps) then the local contractors already know how to
deal with their waste products.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Dan Jones wrote:

I'm considering having contractors replace some carpet and vinyl flooring
with tile. Possibly also re-tile an existing kitchen counter and shower.
I heard they have to use a lot of water to install and cut the tiles. The
contaminated water is not allowed to be poured into the drains or sewers
here, so what are the tile contractors supposed to do with all that water?

Our tile contractor kept the wet saw on the lawn. I would not describe
the amount of water as a "lot". I don't recall any residue on the lawn
either, though I might have hosed the area when they finished. Wet saws
cut fairly fast, and the amount of water is only onto the blade - very
little water, IMO.
Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

"Norminn" wrote in message
nk.net...
Dan Jones wrote:

I'm considering having contractors replace some carpet and vinyl

flooring
with tile. Possibly also re-tile an existing kitchen counter and

shower.
I heard they have to use a lot of water to install and cut the tiles.

The
contaminated water is not allowed to be poured into the drains or sewers
here, so what are the tile contractors supposed to do with all that

water?

Our tile contractor kept the wet saw on the lawn. I would not describe
the amount of water as a "lot". I don't recall any residue on the lawn
either, though I might have hosed the area when they finished. Wet saws
cut fairly fast, and the amount of water is only onto the blade - very
little water, IMO.

What would be harmful in tile dust, unless it was some exotic thing with
fancy glazes? I mean, we eat off of stuff that isn't that different from
tile.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Jones

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Norminn" wrote in message
nk.net...
Dan Jones wrote:

[...]

We don't "eat" tile and we don't eat the Teflon on the frying pans. I'm not
sure how "toxic" it is, but it clogs drains and may kill fish in the creeks
the street drains run to.
Nothing is supposed to be "dumped" into the street drains here.
I had a previous house where the tile person worked on the back yard, then
the neighbor complained because the tile dust ran into their yard and made a
mess in their landscaping when the sprinklers came on or it rained.

Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

I've never washed out into "drains or sewers" so maybe
you're too concerned. As long as you have grass,
any smart (that rules out many) tileman will wash out into
the grass and water it in real good. Maybe you better
stress this point to the tileman BEFORE you let him work
for you. The worst customer is one who brings up these
issues when I'm well into a job. I've always been real
particular about cleaning up 100%.

A couple of times I got trapped into jobs and found out
they wouldn't let me wash out ANYWHERE on the property,
telling me I had to take the grout water, dirty buckets etc
home to clean (an hour away).
Imagine that........their grass was too good for my washing
out, but _my_ yard met their standard.......... no problem,
I won't say what I did with it, but I left with clean buckets
and tools :-)

thetiler

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

Gee, if life is that tough for you you'd better sell that place and move.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"Dan Jones" no#email.com wrote in message

"ameijers" wrote in message

"Norminn" wrote in message
nk.net...
Dan Jones wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ichabod

there are lots of dumpsters that are un-attended at night

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

In my area they just drink it and chew up up the residue with a bran
muffin. The next morning they can *lay* a new batch of rope tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair
bill allemann

I think the drain issue is probably about thinset mortar.
If the guy washes wet mud from pan and tools, this stuff would
be a problem going into drains.
The tile cutter wouldn't have
a significant amount of residue.

"Dan Jones" no#email.com wrote in message
. ..
I'm considering having contractors replace some carpet and vinyl flooring
with tile. Possibly also re-tile an existing kitchen counter and shower.
I heard they have to use a lot of water to install and cut the tiles. The
contaminated water is not allowed to be poured into the drains or sewers
here, so what are the tile contractors supposed to do with all that water?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

thetiler wrote:

[...]

That is like our condo board .. supposed to take dogs off the property
to do their duty on someone else's lawn ) We have pick-up laws, and
folks are really good about it. If every doggy goes on someone else's
lawn, I guess it comes out pretty even )
Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

Dan Jones wrote:

We don't "eat" tile and we don't eat the Teflon on the frying pans. I'm
not sure how "toxic" it is, but it clogs drains and may kill fish
in the creeks the street drains run to.

Ceramic dust doesn't clog drains. It's the same as putting grass clippings
in the storm sewer: it provides "roughage," promotes regularity, and
decreases the chance for sewer cancer.

Nothing is supposed to be "dumped" into the street drains here.

If you're careful, like doing it at night, no one will notice.

I had a previous house where the tile person worked on the back yard,
then the neighbor complained because the tile dust ran into their
yard and made a mess in their landscaping when the sprinklers came on
or it rained.

Ignore the old biddy next door. She'd probably complain over loud music,
too.