Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How far to turn a Disposal

When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 16 Apr 2006 21:49:48 -0700, wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Hi,
You have to. Otherwise it'll get loose. Think vibration when it's running.

Thanks for the reply.

But how do you rotate it that far? Do you really have to lean into it?

No. How far has it turned so far? A full 360? You haven't got it in
right. Not at all. You've got it in, but not right.

Is the disposal vertical? Is the writing on it, if any, horizontal?
If not, you've cross threaded it. But the threads are enormous so
that is no problem.

Did you remove another insinkerator before this new one? What does it
say on the ring that is currently in the sink. If it was another
brand, I don't know if it will fit or not. Maybe someone will post,
expecially if you answer this questions. But if you haven't used the
top ring that was included, take out the unit and try it with the new
top ring. If that works and the currently installed top ring still
doesn't, then maybe you should put in the new top ring.

Does it 'click' into place?

Don't remember but yes you can feel it when it is in place. For one
thing, it stops. It probably goes down a bit too, don't remeber.

Have you looked at the rings. The distance should be clear iirc from
either of them, but if not one then the other.

You don't want to connect the pipe or wires until after the disposal
is in place.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Hi,
You have to. Otherwise it'll get loose. Think vibration when it's running.

Thanks for the reply.

But how do you rotate it that far? Do you really have to lean into it?

No.

JDK is right. I may have tapped those steel curls with a hammer. I
don't think so but I might have. That's what the curls are there for,
so even if I didn't have to, others do. Just a tap, not a whack.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Push harder. It does take a little muscle to get it latched, IIRC, it was
maybe 1/4 turn.

Glowworm won't turn off jimh UK diy 0 February 24th 06 05:52 PM
TURN $6 INTO $60,000 [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 29th 05 04:57 PM
Aaargh! I can't turn my water off! Peter Ashby UK diy 13 June 17th 05 06:01 PM
Garbage disposal throws stuff out of other sink Ron P Home Repair 3 March 19th 04 12:43 AM
Can't turn hot water stop tap! Snowman UK diy 18 October 6th 03 12:26 PM