DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How far to turn a Disposal (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/153675-how-far-turn-disposal.html)

[email protected] April 17th 06 04:50 AM

How far to turn a Disposal

When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Tony Hwang April 17th 06 05:02 AM

How far to turn a Disposal

wrote:
When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Hi,
You have to. Otherwise it'll get loose. Think vibration when it's running.

[email protected] April 17th 06 05:49 AM

How far to turn a Disposal

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Hi,
You have to. Otherwise it'll get loose. Think vibration when it's running.

Thanks for the reply.

But how do you rotate it that far? Do you really have to lean into it?
Does it 'click' into place?

mm April 17th 06 07:08 AM

How far to turn a Disposal

On 16 Apr 2006 21:49:48 -0700, wrote:

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Hi,
You have to. Otherwise it'll get loose. Think vibration when it's running.

Thanks for the reply.

But how do you rotate it that far? Do you really have to lean into it?

No. How far has it turned so far? A full 360? You haven't got it in
right. Not at all. You've got it in, but not right.

Is the disposal vertical? Is the writing on it, if any, horizontal?
If not, you've cross threaded it. But the threads are enormous so
that is no problem.

Did you remove another insinkerator before this new one? What does it
say on the ring that is currently in the sink. If it was another
brand, I don't know if it will fit or not. Maybe someone will post,
expecially if you answer this questions. But if you haven't used the
top ring that was included, take out the unit and try it with the new
top ring. If that works and the currently installed top ring still
doesn't, then maybe you should put in the new top ring.

Does it 'click' into place?

Don't remember but yes you can feel it when it is in place. For one
thing, it stops. It probably goes down a bit too, don't remeber.

Have you looked at the rings. The distance should be clear iirc from
either of them, but if not one then the other.

You don't want to connect the pipe or wires until after the disposal
is in place.

jdk April 17th 06 01:46 PM

How far to turn a Disposal

wrote:
Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:

When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Hi,
You have to. Otherwise it'll get loose. Think vibration when it's running.

Thanks for the reply.

But how do you rotate it that far? Do you really have to lean into it?
Does it 'click' into place?

take a piece of wood or screw driver and try to leverage it. if not use
a hammer. just tap it that is what i have done. the ones i worked on
have metal loops you hit till it clicks in. just don't hit it like a nail.

mm April 17th 06 03:08 PM

How far to turn a Disposal

Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Hi,
You have to. Otherwise it'll get loose. Think vibration when it's running.

Thanks for the reply.

But how do you rotate it that far? Do you really have to lean into it?

No.

JDK is right. I may have tapped those steel curls with a hammer. I
don't think so but I might have. That's what the curls are there for,
so even if I didn't have to, others do. Just a tap, not a whack.

Edwin Pawlowski April 17th 06 04:27 PM

How far to turn a Disposal

wrote in message
ups.com...
When installing a disposal (In-Sink-Erator), how far do you turn the
attachment piece?

The instructions say to rotate the lower mounting ring until tabs lock
over the ridges. Has anyone tried this, it seems near impossible to
get it to rotate that far. I've used the tool it comes with,
screwdriver, etc.

Any ideas?

Push harder. It does take a little muscle to get it latched, IIRC, it was
maybe 1/4 turn.