Posted to alt.home.repair
cj

Default sink hold down screws

greetings, after successfully installing my new kitchen countertops and
cutting out for the sink (stainless ) i am now at my wits end trying to
pull the sink down flush with the countertops. the clamps i have that
fit into the slots underneath came with slotted screws with the smallest
slot you can imagine. there is just no way i can get the screwdriver
into the slot to tighten it down. is anyone aware of a screw to fit
these slots that is at least a phillips head or better yet a head that
will accept a small socket. any help would be appreciated.
cj

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

What brand of sink came with these screws? If the slot is too narrow for
your screwdrivers, you may want to shop for a new screwdriver with a very
thin blade, I have seen them come in all different thicknesses, some are too
thick for some screws, as there doesn't seem to be a standard for slot
screws and drivers. Alternatively, you could file or grind a screwdriver to
the correct thickness for the job. Finding a replacement for the screws
could be difficult because they may be an especially manufactured version
for this specific purpose.

"cj" wrote in message
greetings, after successfully installing my new kitchen countertops and
cutting out for the sink (stainless ) i am now at my wits end trying to
pull the sink down flush with the countertops. the clamps i have that fit
into the slots underneath came with slotted screws with the smallest slot
you can imagine. there is just no way i can get the screwdriver into the
slot to tighten it down. is anyone aware of a screw to fit these slots
that is at least a phillips head or better yet a head that will accept a
small socket. any help would be appreciated.
cj

Posted to alt.home.repair
cj

EXT wrote:

What brand of sink came with these screws? If the slot is too narrow for
your screwdrivers, you may want to shop for a new screwdriver with a very
thin blade, I have seen them come in all different thicknesses, some are too
thick for some screws, as there doesn't seem to be a standard for slot
screws and drivers. Alternatively, you could file or grind a screwdriver to
the correct thickness for the job. Finding a replacement for the screws
could be difficult because they may be an especially manufactured version
for this specific purpose.

i dont recall the brand of sink it is (reusing the old sink on new
countertop ) and i do have the proper screwdriver. the problem is that
it is very tight between the sink sidewall and cabinet wall. the type of
screw/clamp i'm fighting with can be seen
here...http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/k...n.htm...scroll
down a bit. it would be much easier if the screw had a larger head .
cj

"cj" wrote in message

greetings, after successfully installing my new kitchen countertops and
cutting out for the sink (stainless ) i am now at my wits end trying to
pull the sink down flush with the countertops. the clamps i have that fit
into the slots underneath came with slotted screws with the smallest slot
you can imagine. there is just no way i can get the screwdriver into the
slot to tighten it down. is anyone aware of a screw to fit these slots
that is at least a phillips head or better yet a head that will accept a
small socket. any help would be appreciated.
cj

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

Get a thin screwdriver as long as you need and get the screws as tight as
you can before you slide them into position. The last time I had to do this
I used another long bigger screwdriver to kind of maniplate the screw into
place and hold it so I could get at it with the thiner screwdriver.

"cj" wrote in message

greetings, after successfully installing my new kitchen countertops and
cutting out for the sink (stainless ) i am now at my wits end trying to
pull the sink down flush with the countertops. the clamps i have that fit
into the slots underneath came with slotted screws with the smallest slot
you can imagine. there is just no way i can get the screwdriver into the
slot to tighten it down. is anyone aware of a screw to fit these slots
that is at least a phillips head or better yet a head that will accept a
small socket. any help would be appreciated.
cj

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:24:17 -0400, cj wrote:

EXT wrote:

What brand of sink came with these screws? If the slot is too narrow for
your screwdrivers, you may want to shop for a new screwdriver with a very
thin blade, I have seen them come in all different thicknesses, some are too
thick for some screws, as there doesn't seem to be a standard for slot
screws and drivers. Alternatively, you could file or grind a screwdriver to
the correct thickness for the job. Finding a replacement for the screws
could be difficult because they may be an especially manufactured version
for this specific purpose.

i dont recall the brand of sink it is (reusing the old sink on new
countertop ) and i do have the proper screwdriver. the problem is that
it is very tight between the sink sidewall and cabinet wall. the type of
screw/clamp i'm fighting with can be seen
here. http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/k...less/basin.htm ..scroll

If you would omit the dots in the future, people could just click on
the url. A space before and a space after, even if the senetence
calls for punctuation. I had to click on reply to delete them so for
the same clicking, I'm letting you know.

"cj" wrote in message

greetings, after successfully installing my new kitchen countertops and
cutting out for the sink (stainless ) i am now at my wits end trying to
pull the sink down flush with the countertops. the clamps i have that fit
into the slots underneath came with slotted screws with the smallest slot
you can imagine. there is just no way i can get the screwdriver into the
slot to tighten it down. is anyone aware of a screw to fit these slots
that is at least a phillips head or better yet a head that will accept a
small socket. any help would be appreciated.
cj

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Wisnia

cj wrote:

greetings, after successfully installing my new kitchen countertops and
cutting out for the sink (stainless ) i am now at my wits end trying to
pull the sink down flush with the countertops. the clamps i have that
fit into the slots underneath came with slotted screws with the smallest
slot you can imagine. there is just no way i can get the screwdriver
into the slot to tighten it down. is anyone aware of a screw to fit
these slots that is at least a phillips head or better yet a head that
will accept a small socket. any help would be appreciated.
cj

It's obvious why the screw head is so small, it;s so the screws could be
threaded through those clamps.

Maybe you could widen the slots a bit by holding them in a vise and
using a hacksaw on them? Can't tell without seeing your parts whether
thst would weaken them too much or not.

But you certainly could file down the blade of a cheapie screwdriver to
thin it enough to suit those slots.

If you really want to "gild a turd", pick up some hex nuts which just
slip over those "screw heads" and silver solder one onto each screw
after they are threaded through the clamps. That way, you could use a
hex driver on them and not get frustrated with a screwdriver slipping
out of the slot because of the inconvenient angle of attack. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair
cj

thats what i'm going to do. there is no way to hold the fastener/screw
steady with one hand and try to get the screwdriver seated in that tiny
slot and keep it there to tighten. crazy glue should hold the hex to the
pinhead of a screwhead
cj

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
cj wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

and cutting out for the sink (stainless ) i am now at my wits end trying
to pull the sink down flush with the countertops. the clamps i have that
fit into the slots underneath came with slotted screws with the smallest
slot you can imagine. there is just no way i can get the screwdriver
into the slot to tighten it down.

The ones I ve seen can be tightened with a nut driver (hex head) rather than
a screwdriver