Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave

Default Thread 3/4 black pipe in place

I have to move some 3/4 "gas plumbing that is 20+ years old.
Basically it sticks out too far into the kitchen so need to move it
back a couple inches. Normally I would just remove the piece and
replace it with a shorter one. The problem is the piece goes back into
the firewall and I get a wrench on the 90 elbow.

I don't want to torque the pipe.

Can the pipe simply be cut and threaded in place using a pipe thread
ratchet? My other option is to demo the firewall.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Dave wrote:

I have to move some 3/4 "gas plumbing that is 20+ years old.
Basically it sticks out too far into the kitchen so need to move it
back a couple inches. Normally I would just remove the piece and
replace it with a shorter one. The problem is the piece goes back into
the firewall and I get a wrench on the 90 elbow.

I don't want to torque the pipe.

Can the pipe simply be cut and threaded in place using a pipe thread
ratchet? My other option is to demo the firewall.

The threader itself will put significant torque
on the pipe. That alone may create a leak back in
the wall. Hmmmmmm
Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Speedy Jim wrote:
Dave wrote:

I have to move some 3/4 "gas plumbing that is 20+ years old.
Basically it sticks out too far into the kitchen so need to move it
back a couple inches. Normally I would just remove the piece and
replace it with a shorter one. The problem is the piece goes back into
the firewall and I get a wrench on the 90 elbow.

I don't want to torque the pipe.

Can the pipe simply be cut and threaded in place using a pipe thread
ratchet? My other option is to demo the firewall.

The threader itself will put significant torque
on the pipe. That alone may create a leak back in
the wall. Hmmmmmm

How far does the pipe stick out?

The pipe threader will need at about 3" clear to the wall to create the
new thread.

Threading the pipe will "tighten" the pipe into the elbow; but there is
a chance that this will cause a leak.

I'm not sure how I would approach this situation..........

If the 3" protrusion was ok I might go for the "cut & re-thread" option
but you'd have to be able verify "no leak" inside the wall.

Another approach would be to remove the offending pipe, use a job saw,
jig saw or large hole to cut an access hole. Install the new (shorter)
pipe w/ valve & test for leaks.

Replace the wall piece that was removed.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney

On 2006-04-10, Speedy Jim wrote:

I have to move some 3/4 "gas plumbing that is 20+ years old.
Basically it sticks out too far into the kitchen so need to move it
back a couple inches. Normally I would just remove the piece and
replace it with a shorter one. The problem is the piece goes back into
the firewall and I get a wrench on the 90 elbow.

I don't want to torque the pipe.

Can the pipe simply be cut and threaded in place using a pipe thread
ratchet? My other option is to demo the firewall.

The threader itself will put significant torque
on the pipe. That alone may create a leak back in
the wall. Hmmmmmm

Just thinking out loud here, with no particular experience: if there
is enough clearance from the wall, is there a way to clamp the pipe
sticking out of the wall so that the torque from the threader will not
be transmitted to the fitting inside the wall? Maybe just a long pipe
wrench and a helper to provide an opposing torque as needed?

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave

I ended up busting through the fire wall. It took a good while, but it
seemed like the "right" way to go about it. I got it all done with a
minor leak in the final piece. It is a 6" straight piece between 2
90's. I don't think it will be too hard to finish up tomorrow.

Does anyone have any techniques for putting in the final piece? I
tried to get one side pretty tight then backed it off to screw into the
other 90. I really don't see any other way to go about it.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave

Thanks for the info DT!!! I will fix it tonight. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 23:02:31 GMT, Speedy Jim wrote:

Dave wrote:

I have to move some 3/4 "gas plumbing that is 20+ years old.
Basically it sticks out too far into the kitchen so need to move it
back a couple inches. Normally I would just remove the piece and
replace it with a shorter one. The problem is the piece goes back into
the firewall and I get a wrench on the 90 elbow.

I don't want to torque the pipe.

Can the pipe simply be cut and threaded in place using a pipe thread
ratchet? My other option is to demo the firewall.

The threader itself will put significant torque
on the pipe. That alone may create a leak back in
the wall. Hmmmmmm

Depending on how much of a stub-out you're leaving,
you may be able to clamp some sort of holder to
the pipe while you're threading it.

Teflon Pipe Tape or TFE Paste Thread Compound with Teflon for Galvanized to ABS Threads?? scale Home Repair 3 November 5th 05 09:46 PM
Black pipe or galvanized? zxcvbob Home Repair 5 July 2nd 05 01:15 AM
Black overflow pipe? Alan UK diy 14 June 10th 05 05:28 PM
WARNING. DeWALT And Black and Decker Tools causing serious Injury and Death. tester Electronics Repair 17 May 27th 04 12:45 PM
undoing cast iron soil pipe joint Alasdair UK diy 8 February 2nd 04 07:17 AM