zxcvbob

Default Black pipe or galvanized?

I need to build a set of portable volleyball net poles. I plan on using
tires filled with concrete with 1 1/2" water pipe for the poles. Does
concrete stick better to black pipe or galvanized? The pipe will just
be embedded in the concrete; I'm not planning to weld any pieces of
rebar to it.

Thanks, regards,
Bob

i dont think youd have to paint the galvanized for quite a while ,
other than that i dont see much difference. ohh.... welding on it would
be cleaner on the blackpipe. lucas

Greetings,

Go with black pipe + a screw on floor flange to embed in the concrete
for less than the cost of galvanized. If you want to get fancy you can
probably even rig it so that you could unscrew the poles from the tires
(bolt the floor flange to a cement filled tire instead of simply
embedding it -- or embed it with bolts during the pour and grease the
pole for easy removal.)

Special notes:
a) often pipe is coated with oils which may adversely effect
steel-cement bonding
b) black pipe rusts quicker than galvanized

Hope this helps,
William

Vic Dura

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:17:21 -0500, in alt.home.repair Black pipe
or galvanized? zxcvbob wrote:

I need to build a set of portable volleyball net poles. I plan on using
tires filled with concrete with 1 1/2" water pipe for the poles. Does
concrete stick better to black pipe or galvanized? The pipe will just
be embedded in the concrete; I'm not planning to weld any pieces of
rebar to it.

They "stick" about the same, but the black pipe will rust. Use the
galv.

zxcvbob

Vic Dura wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 11:17:21 -0500, in alt.home.repair Black pipe
or galvanized? zxcvbob wrote:

I need to build a set of portable volleyball net poles. I plan on using
tires filled with concrete with 1 1/2" water pipe for the poles. Does
concrete stick better to black pipe or galvanized? The pipe will just
be embedded in the concrete; I'm not planning to weld any pieces of
rebar to it.

They "stick" about the same, but the black pipe will rust. Use the
galv.

That's what I thought. But I may put a black coupling on the bottom
(will be encased in the concrete) and weld some steel scraps to it.

Bob

BobK207

I've built several similar devices (but for tetherball)

One has been in service since 1987

Use galv pipe

Embed a pipe stub inot the concrete and use a coupling to attach the
pole

drill through cross holes in the pipe to accept small (1/4 or 3/8)
rebar

The bond between black pipe or galv to concrete is minimal, it's the
bumps that do the job.

The black pipe is more trouble than it's worth; rust / painting
cheers
Bob