Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default AC Filter Recommendation

There are many AC filters now on the market, from washable filter around $30
to the special disposable around $9.99 down to the cheap blue stuff around
$3.00. I remember last time I bought a middle of the road 20x20x1 filter it
was priced around $3.99 for one and $9.99 for a three pack. Today I was at
HD and it is now $7.99 a piece? What happened? Where did the medium priced
AC filter go? Which one gives the best bang for the buck?

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair
Brian

miamicuse wrote:
There are many AC filters now on the market, from washable filter around $30
to the special disposable around $9.99 down to the cheap blue stuff around
$3.00. I remember last time I bought a middle of the road 20x20x1 filter it
was priced around $3.99 for one and $9.99 for a three pack. Today I was at
HD and it is now $7.99 a piece? What happened? Where did the medium priced
AC filter go? Which one gives the best bang for the buck?

MC

Easy the best value for the buck $0.57 blue fiberglass filter. For the
price
you can not beat it.

Better filter helps somewhat with allergies and reduces dust.

Rating gives you size of particles removed. Higher rating also makes
blower motor work harder (increases chance of failure). So unless you
really need that 12+ rating don't buy those....

Where did the medium priced AC filter go?

Corporate proffits.

Posted to alt.home.repair
thetiler

Consumer Reports did a report on air filters a while
back, which included whole house filters, and these
disposable filters.
Search them out if you're interested.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Use the filter that makes sense for your circumstances.

I cannot live with a el cheapo blue fiberglass filter, whether it cost
$0.57 or $1.29 I am mold spore sensitive and these simply do not trap
enough dust and mold to keep my body peaceful.

At a minimum, I want a Merv 8 pleated filter. Yes, they place an
additional load on the fan. However, the filter frame in my unit was
changed out from a 16x20 to a 20x25 to partially compensate.

Additionally, pleated media filters are available in 4 inch depths to
fit inside standard filter frames. Honeywell filters use this media.
You won't find these in stores, you'll have to find a Honeywell dealer
to buy them from, or find them online. These are also Merv 8 and Merv
10 filters. A 4 inch deep pleated filter will come close to the fan
days. When you change them out, every 90-180 days, htey will be HEAVY
with all the dirt collected.

Undersink water filter recommendation g Home Repair 12 January 29th 11 06:23 PM
Usual water filter rootep Home Repair 2 January 20th 06 07:38 AM
Usual water filter rootep Home Ownership 2 January 20th 06 02:03 AM
Sears Refrigerator side by side - water filter - scam? harold balls Home Repair 25 September 18th 05 10:45 AM
RO Water filter recommendation John Greenwood UK diy 6 July 21st 03 08:44 PM