Posted to alt.home.repair
Hobbs Family

Default bargaining

I am soon to begin buying fixtures, appliances, and all the other things
needed as we near the end of new home construction. I hear all the time from
people how they bargain at Home Depot and other suppliers, but I have to
admit, I possess little skill in this area.

How about some tips on negotiting discounted prices from some of you that
know how to do it.

Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

I'll tell you my secret, I live within 10 min of both Lowes and HD, I go
there regularly keeping a keen eye on the asiles and carts that are stashed
around the store. Especially on weekends at Lowes, I have found great prices
(I got PF faucet retail 183.00, I paid 18.50) I got a 6 ft counter top for
10.00. Many times I have been able to do this. What you are looking for is,
returns, special order returns, they in particular are the best deals, the
store can't send them back and have to get rid of them, Right now at the
store there is a SO bathroom vanity and sink, very expensive retail @ 483.00
vanity and 320.00 for the sink the whole thing is selling for 250.00, I bet
that it will be even lower by tonight! Shopping is the key! I don't mean
having to go all over town I just go to those two stores every other day,
takes about ten min to cruise the store. I got three R 30 bags of insulation
that because they were ripped (bags) I got them for 10 bucks ea. Look for
things that have flaws or damaged boxes. I paid 14.00 for a 62.00 metal
lockig cabinet just because the box the damaged.

Good luck

Searcher
OH, I got an Ingersol Rand air compressor for 40.00 because there was a
faulty weld at the outlet, quick tap with my welder and I got a 800.00 AC
for 40 buck!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shopdog wrote:

I'll tell you my secret, I live within 10 min of both Lowes and HD, I go
there regularly keeping a keen eye on the asiles and carts that are stashed
around the store. Especially on weekends at Lowes...

I can second that. I just got a nice Hitachi vertical bandsaw for $83.58,
a floor model reduced by 20%, then 10% more when I noticed the stand
was missing a few bolts, then another 40% when I spun the wheel on
contractor's appreciation day" (with a free lunch :-)

Nick

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Just got back from Lowes and picked up a B & D orbital sander Reg price
49.99 I paid 24.00, brand new in the box!

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Hobbs Family

How did you manage the discount?

"Shopdog" wrote in message
Just got back from Lowes and picked up a B & D orbital sander Reg price
49.99 I paid 24.00, brand new in the box!

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

thing I do every weekend.

We just bought a new (old) house, we are doing renovations and so far I
have been able to get my wood floor (real wood, not laminate) for 1.13 a
box, its sitting in the basement waiting for me. I bought the insulation for
10 a bag and it waiting for me, its just what I wanted and needed. Our
bathroom and kitchen faucets well they came a bit early but I have more than
what we wanted for less then what I thought I would have paid for the lessor
stuff. Timing is the idea here, if your out to build a house in a short
period of time then my way is not for you, but if your going to be doing
some over time remodeling then this is the way to do it for less. I found
some knotty pine boards for my "outdoor" room total cost for a 10 X 12 room
53.00 thats what my walls are going to be instead of sheetrock. The wood
floor will be in there as well. Now if I could just find that leather
Lazyboy that I want???

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think Home Depot, Lowes, allow much in the way of actual
bargaining (i.e., talking salesperson into giving you a discount from
price marked). However, I have had luck with the previously mentioned
kinds of things (damaged, floor models, etc.) and totally agree that
checking frequently is key -- being in the right place at the right
time. Recently I bought an electric range at about 1/3 off at HD
because it was an odd model they don't ordinarily carry at that store
and was missing the instruction book. As far as true bargaining, you
may find you do better at places such as ABC Warehouse where
salespeople have some latitude to dicker and deal.

Also, keep an eye out for offers such as 10% off first purchase with
new credit and so forth. The HD credit card has outrageous interest,
so make sure any discount offer also includes something like "6 months
same as cash" or you have the money to pay it off right away.

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

"Shopdog" wrote in message
Just got back from Lowes and picked up a B & D orbital sander Reg price
49.99 I paid 24.00, brand new in the box!

Searcher

Did you need the tool or did you just buy it because you got it for half
price? That's what my wife does to save money!?!?!?!?

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Jay" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Shopdog" wrote in message
Just got back from Lowes and picked up a B & D orbital sander Reg price
49.99 I paid 24.00, brand new in the box!

Searcher

Did you need the tool or did you just buy it because you got it for half
price? That's what my wife does to save money!?!?!?!?

Does not matter, the B & D sander would be overpriced at $5.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Ok Ed,I'll bite, why is it overpriced. Seems like a decent sander. I didn't
try it out I just put it in the cab. should I get it out and try it, is it
going to vibrate my hands apart?

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 09:27:48 -0600, "Hobbs Family"
wrote:

I am soon to begin buying fixtures, appliances, and all the other things
needed as we near the end of new home construction. I hear all the time from
people how they bargain at Home Depot and other suppliers, but I have to

Did you know that the first store in America to charge fixed prices
was John Wanamaker in Philadelphia, and this was only around 1850 or
1870 (I forget which.) Until then, everything was subject to
bargaining all the time.

admit, I possess little skill in this area.

I'm only good at it if I really don't want the thing. And mostly at
yard sales.

How about some tips on negotiting discounted prices from some of you that
know how to do it.

Keith

This reminds me of a story. A man comes to a grocery or a fruit
stand and asks, How much for tomatoes?

The owner says, Two dollars a pound.

The customer says, The store down the street is charging a dollar
fifty a pound.

So buy them down the street, the owner says.

"He's out of them."

The owner says "When I'm out of them, I charge a dollar a pound."

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery

"Shopdog" wrote in message
Ok Ed,I'll bite, why is it overpriced. Seems like a decent sander. I

didn't
try it out I just put it in the cab. should I get it out and try it, is it
going to vibrate my hands apart?

Searcher

The B&D brand is very low end. Not really worth bring home.
It may be ok for very light use but that is about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Shopdog" wrote in message
Ok Ed,I'll bite, why is it overpriced. Seems like a decent sander. I
didn't try it out I just put it in the cab. should I get it out and try
it, is it going to vibrate my hands apart?

Searcher

It may serve your needs if they are light duty and infrequent. If you have
a lot of sanding it will wear out in a short time. B & D used to be a very
reputable tool maker, but have gone the high volume, low end route.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

ok, No wonder it was 1/2 priced, I'll keep it since I don't plan on alot of
use for it, I have a Crapsman mouse type that I bought as a throw away, but
that thing wont die. it has held up throught about a hundred birdhouses, 3
dog houses and 2 queen sized bedframes. If I am looking for a ROS that HAS
to hold up under pressure what should I look at?

Thanks
]
]Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Jay" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Shopdog" wrote in message

Just got back from Lowes and picked up a B & D orbital sander Reg price
49.99 I paid 24.00, brand new in the box!

Searcher

Did you need the tool or did you just buy it because you got it for half
price? That's what my wife does to save money!?!?!?!?

Does not matter, the B & D sander would be overpriced at $5.

B&D? Not in my tool list.
I have mostly DeWalt, Porter & Cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

Actually, I did not need it. I really did buy it for the price, if it holds
up then I got a good deal if not well, lesson learned. I guess my tools are
getting alot like my fishing equipment, I have MY fishing gear and my
lending gear. Of course my lending gear is not nearly as expensive as MY
gear, but I sure as hell am not going to lend out my Calcutta to someone who
is accompanying me fishing!. Now I have a lending sander.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

I just used the BD ROS, worked pretty damn good if you asked me, Maybe cause
its right out of the box, but on initial use I see no problems aside from
being kinda of dusty. But I have a sanding box so that eliminates the dust
issue. I will let you know how it fairs overtime if anyone is interested.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay

"Shopdog" wrote in message
Actually, I did not need it. I really did buy it for the price, if it
holds up then I got a good deal if not well, lesson learned. I guess my
tools are getting alot like my fishing equipment, I have MY fishing gear
and my lending gear. Of course my lending gear is not nearly as expensive
as MY gear, but I sure as hell am not going to lend out my Calcutta to
someone who is accompanying me fishing!. Now I have a lending sander.

Searcher

Since you got it cheap enough, you could always get your money back on e-bay
which is what happens to a lot of my wife's, "look how much I saved off the
regular price!" (It doesn't seem to matter we already had one or didn't need
one.) grin

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

go to

http://www.homedepotmoving.com

sign up and give them your *new* ;-) address and they will send you 10%
coupon in the mail. Lowes probably does the same thing. You could
also fill out a change of address form at the post office and magically
tons of deals will start pouring in.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 8 Apr 2006 11:29:41 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Absolutely. That's the goal of those offers, to get people using the
store credit card with enormous interest, and other terms that make it
worse than a credit card issued by a bank (some of which are bad too.)

I wonder if all store credit cards are as unfavorable as the ones that
come with these offers. Maybe, but otoh, they have to have a way to
make up for the non-interest in the first 6 months.)

Jo Ann

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

You must have bought you tools a long time ago. Click below and scroll
down to 1960.

http://blackanddecker.com/CustomerCe...formation.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stan

Previously RayV wrote:

You must have bought you tools a long time ago. Click below and scroll
down to 1960.

http://blackanddecker.com/CustomerCe...formation.aspx

And then scroll down to 2004 for Porter-Cable.
--
# You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in
torment if you don't trust enough. (Chinese)