Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimi

Default Cat off the Table?

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc.... I
think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Jimi" wrote in message

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc....
I think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Training, basically. When you catch him doing bad stuff, does he have that
"uh oh I'm busted" look on his face? If not, then he doesn't know yet that
you don't like certain behaviors. Catch him in the act and YELL. They don't
like loud noise, especially from their family.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Jimi wrote:

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc.... I
think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Hi,
Try a small bottle of peppermint oil with cap removed on the table.
They don't like it's strong smell.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar_Lives

"Jimi" wrote in message

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc....
I think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Give him some antifreeze in his water or some several pieces of sponges
soaked in bacon grease.

Wafarin works well too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

"tattle tale" pet alarm or else double sided sticky tape.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle+Sear ch

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert Byfield

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months
old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the
home.
Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any
constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables
etc.... I think he's part mountain goat.

Cats are free spirits. Learn tolerance.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang

Oscar_Lives wrote:

"Jimi" wrote in message

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc....
I think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Give him some antifreeze in his water or some several pieces of sponges
soaked in bacon grease.

Wafarin works well too.

Hmmm,
Cops from SPCA would like to talk to you, LOL!
That's not nice!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:27:34 -0600, "Jimi"
wrote:

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc.... I
think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Tape some balloons around the edge.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Jimi wrote:
We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

I like the mousetrap idea the best. You won't have to do it long; cats learn
fast where it's not good to go.

Avoidance behavior can be a powerful thing. I once trained a doberman to stop
barking at me when I was in my own yard by using a BB gun on him. Only had to
shoot him twice. The first time I stepped ou:, woof woof, BAM. The second time
I stepped out in the yard (a day later): woof woof, BAM. The third time I
stepped out in the yard the dog made a beeline for his doghouse and didn't make
a sound. Never had another problem with that dog.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

"Bert Byfield" wrote in message
66...
We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months
old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the
home.
Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any
constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables
etc.... I think he's part mountain goat.

Cats are free spirits. Learn tolerance.

Do you put your feet on the dinner table?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Jimi wrote:

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc.... I
think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

I trained hubby's elderly cat not to get onto the tables and counters.
Just said "no" very firmly as I picked him up and put him on the floor.
Didn't take long. If he continues, give him "time out" in enclosed
space, like a bathroom or shower stall. Mebbe his own "tower"?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

"Jimi" wrote in message
is there any constructive methods proven to work to keep a cat off
shelves, couners, tables etc....

You're kidding, right? This is a cat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

YOU are living in HIS house. This is just his way of explaining that to
you.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Proven advice? Just get used to it. Even if you "train" it not to jump on
these things, you have no idea what it will do when you're away anyways.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sandy K.

"Jimi" wrote in message

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc....

think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

I've been able to train our cat. One method would be to take an empty soda
can and add a few pennies to it. Tape the top and shake it like crazy every
time you catch the cat in the act of climbing on the shelves. Cat's don't
like sharp noises - and they eventually get the point and learn not to go
there.

Sandy K.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ignat

buffalobill wrote:
"tattle tale" pet alarm or else double sided sticky tape.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...oogle+Sear ch

pet alarm didn't work for my mothers cat.
like he didn't even hear it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
JMagerl

I can tell you how not to train him. Everytime he jumps on the table and is
being a pest toss him outside. Pretty soon, everytime he wants to go
outside, he will jump on the table. See how simple that is. Took my cat 3
days to learn that trick. He's three years old now and still jumps on the
table to go outside. (by outside I mean a screened in porch, he really is an
indoor cat).

as someone else said: Its his house

"Jimi" wrote in message

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc....

think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jennifer

Jimi wrote:
We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

snip
I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water. Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated...

You've already gotten some useful suggestions... peppermint or orange
oil, double-sided sticky tape (brand name Sticky Paws, available at
most pet stores in the US), shaking change in a can when you catch him.
If all these fail, you can try a Scat Mat... these give a little shock
of static electricity when touched. I have friends who resorted to
them when all else failed, and they worked. I touched one to see how
bad it was, and it was NOT pleasant, like a really, really bad carpet
shock, and it's probably worse for a 10 pound cat. It's definitely a
last-resort training aid, but it won't take many shocks before your cat
starts thinking of your dining table as evil.

--
Jennifer

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco

I've always had dogs, but now both are
gone and we have a 13 lb male cat.
When he goes on the table, we yell and
put him to the floor. He's learned
somewhat, however, when the cat's away
(humans) the mice (in this case, the cat)
will play. And to complicate the whole
matter, we now have a foster cat and I
don't think she was ever trained for
anything.

Jennifer wrote:
Jimi wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"Jennifer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jimi wrote:
[...]

The methods that work when you are not around will work best. The other
ones will just teach the cat to stay off the table when you are around or
when he hears you coming.

Complementary to avoidance therapy is to provide him with a more attractive
place to sit. Someplace higher than the table with a food bowl seems to
work for my cat. They just want a high pearch to sit on, the food dish
provides an incentive and reinforces the habit. It's his spot and he will
sit there when he wants to beg.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Britton

"Jimi" wrote in message

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc....
I think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Jimi:

Check the archives over at alt.cats there has been much discussion in the
past or repost there for a new one.

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy Asberry

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:41:11 -0700, "Big Al" wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Mouse traps...

Al

I'll expand on the mouse trap angle. Place them under newspaper. They
make a lot of noise and they won't break any toes.
Andy Asberry recommends NewsGuy but deplores the crappy spam line they tag on.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Debi

You can also check www.catnip chromicles.com or about.com ( the cat
section. )

I ran across a pest control website that had automatic squirt guns and
such for when you are not at home. they were motion activated. can't
remember where, tho/.
Debi

Posted to alt.home.repair

have seen people put aluminum foil on furniture to keep cat off and
that worked. i roll up a newspaper and tape it,then give the cat a pop
on the rump when she got on the table or counter.that worked. the guy
with the bb gun to get the dog to quit barking at him has worked for me
on neighbors dogs.. lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Li ) said...

double sided sticky tape backed up with yelling worked for me.

I found loops of clear packing tape to be quite effective.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
Posted to alt.home.repair
Not@home

My mother thought she had solved this by putting mousetraps, upside
down, on the table. They made a nice racket when they went off, but
wouldn't hurt the cat. I never told her, but even after she had solved
the problem, if you looked in the picture window when pulling into the
driveway, the cat would be on the table, but he would be off it by the
time we got in the door, and stayed off while we were home. I suspect
she knew, because she started keeping the table pad on the table,
probably because it didn't show the hair as much.

I suspect the cat likes being off the ground, and perhaps there is a
good view from your table. The only way I have ever succeeded in
training a cat was by making the desired behavior more attractive than
the behavior you want to stop. We stopped our cat's clawing of the
furniture and curtains by lacing a piece of carpet around one of the
support posts in the basement, making a more attractive way for the cat
to get its climbing exercise.

Perhaps yours would like a shelf with a view.

Jimi wrote:
Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old) that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc.... I
think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon

There are some folks on rec pets cats anecdotes who can help.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jimi" wrote in message

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old)
that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the
home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any
constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables
etc.... I
think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think
he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon

Careful, some folks frown on mouse traps for cat training.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in
message m...
Jimi wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon

I'm glad mouse traps don't hurt the cat. But, others have had cases
where mouse traps did hurt.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

Jimi wrote:
Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old)

that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the

home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any

constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables

etc.... I
think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think

he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Avoidance behavior can be a powerful thing. I once trained a doberman to stop
barking at me when I was in my own yard by using a BB gun on him. Only had to
shoot him twice. The first time I stepped ou:, woof woof, BAM. The second time
I stepped out in the yard (a day later): woof woof, BAM. The third time I
stepped out in the yard the dog made a beeline for his doghouse and didn't make
a sound. Never had another problem with that dog.

I had two very large pit bulls in the next-door yard when I moved
here. The first time I went out they barked like killers. The second
time I made friends with them, and they never barked at me again.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Posted to alt.home.repair
clifto

Jimi wrote:
Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables etc.... I
think he's part mountain goat.

We used to just go through the process of catching them at it and
yelling at them a lot. Nowadays I have this $10 Radio Shack thing
that's a portable alarm; the slightest vibration sets it off and
the cats hate it. I put it anywhere I expect a cat to jump up.
It only takes a few times of the cat encountering this to stop him
from going to that spot.

They say aluminum foil on the surface does it; their feet make noise
and they don't like that.

Tape, sticky side up.

--
All relevant people are pertinent.
All rude people are impertinent.
Therefore, no rude people are relevant.
-- Solomon W. Golomb
Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

clifto wrote:
I had two very large pit bulls in the next-door yard when I moved
here. The first time I went out they barked like killers. The second
time I made friends with them, and they never barked at me again.

It wasn't an option for me. I hav nothing against any particular breed of dog,
but this one lived on the other side of the creek and his back yard faced my
balcony. I got sick of him barking at me just because I had the audacity to sit
out there in the evening.

Well, we came to an arrangement. He stopped barking and I stopped shooting him
in the ass with the BB gun.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Careful, some folks frown on mouse traps for cat training.

NOT a very smart idea! If you're talking standard,
spring-operated moustrap, you may find yourself paying large
vet bills for surgical repair to a broken paw! They're
designed to break the mouse or rat's neck, after all, and
cats bones are pretty delicate, too.)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormin Mormon

One vote for frown.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
message ...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Careful, some folks frown on mouse traps for cat training.

NOT a very smart idea! If you're talking standard,
spring-operated moustrap, you may find yourself paying large
vet bills for surgical repair to a broken paw! They're
designed to break the mouse or rat's neck, after all, and
cats bones are pretty delicate, too.)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jim Rusling

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Careful, some folks frown on mouse traps for cat training.

NOT a very smart idea! If you're talking standard,
spring-operated moustrap, you may find yourself paying large
vet bills for surgical repair to a broken paw! They're
designed to break the mouse or rat's neck, after all, and
cats bones are pretty delicate, too.)

Put some news papers on top of the mouse traps. It will slow down the
trap action, but still make noise and movement.
--
Jim Rusling
More or Less Retired
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

.

"Jimi" wrote in message

Hi,

We have a very spoilt neutered Tom cat (only about 4 months old)
that
likes to jump on the dining room table while we are away from the
home.

Other than violence to this charming fellow, is there any
constructive
methods proven to work to keep a cat off shelves, couners, tables
etc.... I
think he's part mountain goat.

I have shot him several times with a water pistol...I think
he's
starting to like water.

Any proven advice would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks...Jim

Water pistols won't work, and the reference in a couple of posts to mouse
traps is absolutely the worst! Negative reinforcement does not work; it is
both cruel and counterproductive. I really don't try to keep my cats off
the tables. I simply clean before using the table or counters, so cats on
the table does not bother me. However, I think one of the best training
tools for those who *do* want to retrict their cats is to lay a strip of
carpet protector/carpet runner (the vinyl type with little pointy
"grippers") upside-down on the table or counter top. *Make sure* that the
points are not sharp. If they are, dull them by rubbing the vinyl runner on
concrete. This will be unpleasant for a cat to walk on -- but not harmful
or painful if you make sure the points are not sharp -- and it only needs to
be a temporary measure. Most cats will soon learn to avoid that area.

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Careful, some folks frown on mouse traps for cat training.

NOT a very smart idea! If you're talking standard,
spring-operated moustrap, you may find yourself paying large
vet bills for surgical repair to a broken paw! They're
designed to break the mouse or rat's neck, after all, and
cats bones are pretty delicate, too.)

Put some news papers on top of the mouse traps. It will slow down the
trap action, but still make noise and movement.

I think I'd rather invest in some of the patented gadgets
sold by suppliers like Drs. Foster & Smith - cheaper than
unwanted vet bills, and you KNOW they don't put your pet in
danger.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

MaryL wrote:

Water pistols won't work,

Well, they do, in a way - they train the cat not to let you
CATCH it doing things you don't want it to do! That, of
course, is assuming it dislikes water and is not as stubborn
as one of mine was. I could squirt Miu until he was
dripping wet, but if he were doing something he WANTED to
do, the only effect was a very wet cat! (Who was it said
"you can never out-stubborn a cat"?)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dnr

Water pistols won't work,
Well, they do, in a way - they train the cat not to let you CATCH it doing
things you don't want it to do! That, of course, is assuming it dislikes
water and is not as stubborn as one of mine was. I could squirt Miu until
he was dripping wet, but if he were doing something he WANTED to do, the
only effect was a very wet cat! (Who was it said "you can never
out-stubborn a cat"?)

Cats here are so old/fat they rarely jump up on table, which
has nothing on it anyway but a cloth/placemats....once in a
blue moon I see the ornery male (never the old lady) up
there sniffing around and marvel that he managed to get up
there (he's half blind = depth perception: zilch). Hoomins
here rarely eat @ table anyway...huge coffee table is
usual feeding station, and since our cats never get "people
food" they ignore action in that location.
What I'd like to do is get "old lady cat" from sleeping on
my head all night.....she's almost as heavy as he is.
And 50 "snaps" of a RAT trap on some sensitive
appendage (finger, whatever) of those who suggest
mouse traps for training cats (thhhhhhp: raspberry)!