Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hotpoint Gas Range trouble

After a self cleaning cycle my Hotpoint gas range RGB745 does not work.
What it does is flash the red indicator lamp "clean" without any of the
"F" fault codes and does not bake or broil.
Any ideas on what to look at?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Problem solved.
Well I removed the top, removed the knobs and manifold cover, took the
door off and set it out of the way.
Once I removed the cover for the door latch and switch assembly the
problem became apparent.
There was mouse nest debris where the resident engineer had packed
insulation all around the microswich preventing it's operation.
The only major hitch is that I had to saw scew slots into a couple of
the manifold cover screws as they were phillips head screws made from
that magic metal that melts upon the application of a screwdriver!

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 06:47:50 GMT, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:

After a self cleaning cycle my Hotpoint gas range RGB745 does not work.
What it does is flash the red indicator lamp "clean" without any of the
"F" fault codes and does not bake or broil.
Any ideas on what to look at?

Hi,
Have you interrupted cleaning cycle by any chance? Did it complete the
cycle and release the door? I'd unplug it and wait few minutes and plug
it back in to reset the logic.
Good luck,

This is unrelated and probably an obsolete story by now.

But 23 years ago I used to have a Royal copier, from back when copiers
cost 3000 dollars, but by then this was 10 years old, broken, and
given to me by my employer.

I replaced the fuser heater and it worked pretty well for maybe 3
years, but then while I was trying to adjust the paper feeder, I
couldn't get it to function at all. It turned out, there was a big
array of full size relays (an inch cube), maybe 20 or 25 of them, and
it turned out that a couple were latching relays. I had bought the
manual, and it might have indicated this in the schematic but if so, I
didn't recognize the symbol, and the text made no prominent reference.
They didn't look very different at all, and I finally noticed that two
were latching relays, and that I could reset them if needed, set them
either open or closed, with a 9-volt battery. And sure enough one
was set the wrong way.

I guess I cut off the power in the middle of a copy cycle, even
though, by the time I fixed it, I didn't and don't remember doing so.

I'd never encountered a latching relay before.