Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Garage door lift cable

Hi,

Door lift cable got kinked and I'm replacing it. The door is good 20 years
at least, maybe more.

New cable does not have a reinforcement in the loop attaching to the door
itself.

This make the cable rubbing on the pin. In the old cable the bearing
surface was between the pin on the door bracket and the small (1in dia)
insert in the cable loop.

Seems the old design was better. Anyone look at this bit lately?

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

About ten years ago when the spring broke on our garage door the guy that
fixed it also replaced the cables and did not use cables with the correct
kind of loop. A year ago when the spring broke again the guy fixing it
showed me how the cables had been rubbing where they shouldn't and one of
them had half the strands broken. He replaced with the correct kind of
cables. He also adjusted the spring carefully and showed me how smoothly
the door moved when it was disconnected from the opener. Considering the
force on the cables, etc. this is worth having a professional do it right.

"RichK" wrote in message
Hi,

Door lift cable got kinked and I'm replacing it. The door is good 20
years
at least, maybe more.

New cable does not have a reinforcement in the loop attaching to the door
itself.

This make the cable rubbing on the pin. In the old cable the bearing
surface was between the pin on the door bracket and the small (1in dia)
insert in the cable loop.

Seems the old design was better. Anyone look at this bit lately?

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

"Jeff" wrote in message:

About ten years ago when the spring broke on our garage door the guy that
fixed it also replaced the cables and did not use cables with the correct
kind of loop. A year ago when the spring broke again the guy fixing it
showed me how the cables had been rubbing where they shouldn't and one of
them had half the strands broken.

As I suspected.

He replaced with the correct kind of cables.

I do not find these at HD or local hardware store. Mabye I have not looked
enough.

He also adjusted the spring carefully and showed me how smoothly
the door moved when it was disconnected from the opener. Considering the
force on the cables, etc. this is worth having a professional do it right.

You may have a torsion spring. Mine is extension, which is not as bad to
replace.

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 11:22:38 -0400, "RichK" wrote:

Hi,

Door lift cable got kinked and I'm replacing it. The door is good 20 years
at least, maybe more.

New cable does not have a reinforcement in the loop attaching to the door
itself.

This make the cable rubbing on the pin. In the old cable the bearing
surface was between the pin on the door bracket and the small (1in dia)
insert in the cable loop.

Seems the old design was better. Anyone look at this bit lately?

Are you referring to the ferrule, I think it is called?

They sell those separately, near the wire cable. (Even if that isn't
the right name)

Maybe you could buy one, trim it if necessary, and put it in the new
cable.

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

"mm" wrote in message

Seems the old design was better. Anyone look at this bit lately?

Are you referring to the ferrule, I think it is called?

It may very well be called that. But that's closer to what is normally used
to "line" the cable in the looped end.

The the old lift cable, actually has a ferrule in the shape of small sheeve
with a 1/4" hole in it, where a small pin goes. This small sheeve looks
like a plastic insert in the old 300ohm TV cable standoff, where the cable
went through the center.

Perhaps in new door designs, that small sheeve is part of the door hardware,
not the cable, hence all the cables just have a larger loop at the end.

Otherwise, I would hope there would at least be a ferrule on the new cable.

The attachment point of the cable on the door is in a place, where you
almost can't see it, without first removing the bracket. It's right on the
corner of the door.

They sell those separately, near the wire cable. (Even if that isn't
the right name) Maybe you could buy one, trim it if necessary, and put it

in the new
cable.

I may have to use a ferrule - that was a good hint. Another department in
the H/W store :-)

Thanks Much,

RichK

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

"mm" wrote in message

Seems the old design was better. Anyone look at this bit lately?

Are you referring to the ferrule, I think it is called?

It may very well be called that. But ferrule is closer to what is normally
used
to "line" the cable in the looped end.

The old lift cable, actually has a small sheeve with a 1/4" hole in it,
[...]

Definition:

A ferrule (from Latin viriola, meaning little bracelet) is a ring or cap
attached to an object to protect against damage, splitting, or wear. In
fiber optic, a ferrule is a component (usually a rigid tube) used to align
and protect the stripped end of a fiber.