Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Garage door lift cable

"Jeff" wrote in message:

About ten years ago when the spring broke on our garage door the guy that
fixed it also replaced the cables and did not use cables with the correct
kind of loop. A year ago when the spring broke again the guy fixing it
showed me how the cables had been rubbing where they shouldn't and one of
them had half the strands broken.

As I suspected.

He replaced with the correct kind of cables.

I do not find these at HD or local hardware store. Mabye I have not looked
enough.

He also adjusted the spring carefully and showed me how smoothly
the door moved when it was disconnected from the opener. Considering the
force on the cables, etc. this is worth having a professional do it right.

You may have a torsion spring. Mine is extension, which is not as bad to
replace.

Rich