Posted to alt.home.repair
James Lewis

Default drainage away from house?

Our house is on a slope of about 10 degrees and our west side is on the
uphill side. Each time we get a heavy rain, the rain from the houses west of
us drains down to our house and we causes water to seep into the west wall
and gets the carpets wet.

What kind of professional should I call to fix this? A landscaper? general
contractor? etc?

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

James Lewis wrote:

Our house is on a slope of about 10 degrees and our west side is on the
uphill side. Each time we get a heavy rain, the rain from the houses west of
us drains down to our house and we causes water to seep into the west wall
and gets the carpets wet.

What kind of professional should I call to fix this? A landscaper? general
contractor? etc?

Mike

You might get away with putting in a berm that directs flow away from
the house - plant raised shrub or flower beds. Just some raised
landscaping timbers might do the trick. Pretty much depends on
surroundings and where the water goes if you direct it away from your
lot line. Drainage ditch to the curb? A landscape architect could
probably handle it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Landscapers & general contractors probalbly won't have the back ground
to solve your problem.
A civil engineer or landscape architect would be trained to solve these
problems.
However, as Norminn suggests, you may be able to solve the problem
yourself.

The land surface should slope away from the house on all sides.
Your house floor should be six inches or more above grade on all sides.
If you can't manage that, contour the land to direct water around your
house.
A berm or wall should do it. Make sure the water isn't trapped.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
deviL doG

"James Lewis" wrote in message
Our house is on a slope of about 10 degrees and our west side is on the
uphill side. Each time we get a heavy rain, the rain from the houses west
of
us drains down to our house and we causes water to seep into the west wall
and gets the carpets wet.

What kind of professional should I call to fix this? A landscaper? general
contractor? etc?

Mike

In the wide world of construction related problems, yours tends to be one of
the relatively simple ones with simple solutions.
A landscape contractor is best to do the work. Not to be confused with a
Landscaper who primarily maintains lawns. A guy with real construction
equipment.
You would decide whether to divert the water using berms (any of many
built-up mounds or structures), swales (depressions in the land resembling
stream beds), or interceptor drains (below surface drains and catch basins).
What method you use depends on the contours of the land and other
site-specific issues, like "where is the water going to go next?. There are
some legal issues regarding redirecting of the flow of surface drainage. You
can't just dump it into a neighbors yard.
An experienced landscape contractor could determine what you need by just
looking. Unless you have a particularly difficult situation there is
normally not a need for design professionals. If you just want to solve a
problem, that is. Now, if you need an artistic solution, or have unique site
issues or legal concerns, then you would want a design professional
involved.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman

On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 08:13:14 GMT, "James Lewis"
wrote:

Our house is on a slope of about 10 degrees and our west side is on the
uphill side. Each time we get a heavy rain, the rain from the houses west of
us drains down to our house and we causes water to seep into the west wall
and gets the carpets wet.

What kind of professional should I call to fix this? A landscaper? general
contractor? etc?

Mike

A trench, some perforated corrugated 4" black pipe, landscape fabric,
gravel, grass seed, straw. Where the water collects you want
perforated tube, the areas where it is carrying water downhill use
solid tube. You can do this yourself but a landscaper should be able
to handle the job. Note carefully where the water is collecting
during a downpour and let the installer know. A general contractor or
landscaper can slope the ground using a bobcat, but that may cause
extensive lawn damage that the landscaper can fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

A trench, some perforated corrugated 4" black pipe, landscape fabric,
gravel, grass seed, straw. Where the water collects you want
perforated tube, the areas where it is carrying water downhill use
solid tube. You can do this yourself but a landscaper should be able
to handle the job. Note carefully where the water is collecting
during a downpour and let the installer know. A general contractor or
landscaper can slope the ground using a bobcat, but that may cause
extensive lawn damage that the landscaper can fix.

This sounds like the right coarse to take but I will add without seeing
the area. You should try to slope the ground away from the house. If you can
seal the foundation or some kind of flashing/ vapor barrier. If water is
getting in the house you have a definite grade issue you may also may have
damage in the wall from water possible Dry rot if you have wood siding it
could also be damaged. Take a good look at the ceiling for water damage (
stains) Also look at the roof lines you could have a situation of water
coming down the wall. The reason I say this I just put a drain in planter
area for water coming in the ( new hard wood floor) after that still had
water. inspecting the Roof the cut a flashing in leaving hole in the
siding, water down the wall. There were no stains on the ceiling. So take a
look at all possibilities