Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default drainage away from house?

A trench, some perforated corrugated 4" black pipe, landscape fabric,
gravel, grass seed, straw. Where the water collects you want
perforated tube, the areas where it is carrying water downhill use
solid tube. You can do this yourself but a landscaper should be able
to handle the job. Note carefully where the water is collecting
during a downpour and let the installer know. A general contractor or
landscaper can slope the ground using a bobcat, but that may cause
extensive lawn damage that the landscaper can fix.

This sounds like the right coarse to take but I will add without seeing
the area. You should try to slope the ground away from the house. If you can
seal the foundation or some kind of flashing/ vapor barrier. If water is
getting in the house you have a definite grade issue you may also may have
damage in the wall from water possible Dry rot if you have wood siding it
could also be damaged. Take a good look at the ceiling for water damage (
stains) Also look at the roof lines you could have a situation of water
coming down the wall. The reason I say this I just put a drain in planter
area for water coming in the ( new hard wood floor) after that still had
water. inspecting the Roof the cut a flashing in leaving hole in the
siding, water down the wall. There were no stains on the ceiling. So take a
look at all possibilities