Posted to alt.home.repair
deviL doG

Default drainage away from house?

"James Lewis" wrote in message
news:uCqXf.2251$Fc.1060@trnddc08...
Our house is on a slope of about 10 degrees and our west side is on the
uphill side. Each time we get a heavy rain, the rain from the houses west
of
us drains down to our house and we causes water to seep into the west wall
and gets the carpets wet.

What kind of professional should I call to fix this? A landscaper? general
contractor? etc?

Mike

In the wide world of construction related problems, yours tends to be one of
the relatively simple ones with simple solutions.
A landscape contractor is best to do the work. Not to be confused with a
Landscaper who primarily maintains lawns. A guy with real construction
equipment.
You would decide whether to divert the water using berms (any of many
built-up mounds or structures), swales (depressions in the land resembling
stream beds), or interceptor drains (below surface drains and catch basins).
What method you use depends on the contours of the land and other
site-specific issues, like "where is the water going to go next?. There are
some legal issues regarding redirecting of the flow of surface drainage. You
can't just dump it into a neighbors yard.
An experienced landscape contractor could determine what you need by just
looking. Unless you have a particularly difficult situation there is
normally not a need for design professionals. If you just want to solve a
problem, that is. Now, if you need an artistic solution, or have unique site
issues or legal concerns, then you would want a design professional
involved.