Posted to alt.home.repair
pakdog

Default Taping Drywall

I'm connecting new boards to existing wall and ceiling boards. Hopefully,
not a dumb question, but should I remove remaing old tape and retape
between the old and new boards or is there some better way?

Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

You have to re-tape. Tip- if you are connecting tapered edges of new
sheetrock to cut/ untapered edges, taper the old edges by crushing them
a little with a hammer/ mallet. This way, when you add mud and tape,
you will be filling a gap, rather than building a bulge. You will be
doing that anyway with extra coats, but easier to feather it out if you
don't overdo it at the outset.

Posted to alt.home.repair
pakdog

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:23:52 -0800, Sev wrote:

You have to re-tape. Tip- if you are connecting tapered edges of new
sheetrock to cut/ untapered edges, taper the old edges by crushing them a
little with a hammer/ mallet. This way, when you add mud and tape, you
will be filling a gap, rather than building a bulge. You will be doing
that anyway with extra coats, but easier to feather it out if you don't
overdo it at the outset.

I'll taper and then tape them. It's my first major sheetrock job so I'm
learning as I go though I watched a pro doing it once. Just didn't catch him
while he was taping. How bad is it to have 1/4" to 1/2" gaps by light
switches and outlets? I measured twice and still had to cut three times to
fit.

Thx,
Kevin
Posted to alt.home.repair
mike urig

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:34:30 -0800, pakdog wrote:

I'm connecting new boards to existing wall and ceiling boards. Hopefully,
not a dumb question, but should I remove remaing old tape and retape
between the old and new boards or is there some better way?

Kevin

http://www.drywallschool.com/protips.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tim Mulvey

"pakdog" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:23:52 -0800, Sev wrote:

You have to re-tape. Tip- if you are connecting tapered edges of new
sheetrock to cut/ untapered edges, taper the old edges by crushing them a
little with a hammer/ mallet. This way, when you add mud and tape, you
will be filling a gap, rather than building a bulge. You will be doing
that anyway with extra coats, but easier to feather it out if you don't
overdo it at the outset.

I'll taper and then tape them. It's my first major sheetrock job so I'm
learning as I go though I watched a pro doing it once. Just didn't catch
him
while he was taping. How bad is it to have 1/4" to 1/2" gaps by light
switches and outlets? I measured twice and still had to cut three times to
fit.

Thx,
Kevin

Kevin, don't try crushing the butt edge to make a tapered edge. Crushing
the edges separates the paper from the gypsum and down the road at some
point you'll see it through the mud. When you hang the rock and you have
defects you cut the loose paper away then fill and tape as needed. All
you're doing by crushing edges is creating defects. Don't crush, pre-fill
the joint so you don't have that ledge, then finish as a butt joint. As far
as your elec boxes are concerned, if the cover plates hide the gaps you're
fine. They also make jumbo cover plates that hide more. Otherwise you need
to pre-fill the gaps then flat tape and finish.

Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , "pakdog" wrote:

How bad is it to have 1/4" to 1/2" gaps by light
switches and outlets? I measured twice and still had to cut three times to
fit.

1/4" is sloppy but still acceptable. 1/2" is not acceptable -- way too big a
gap. Fill that with joint compound (the setting type, that you mix with water,
not the pre-mixed stuff).

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article 12QWf.864797$x96.130629@attbi_s72, "Tim Mulvey" wrote:

As far
as your elec boxes are concerned, if the cover plates hide the gaps you're
fine. They also make jumbo cover plates that hide more.

Not correct -- see my other posts in this thread.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
John F.

I went to this drywall school web site.......am I missing something in the
sections on butt and recessed joint how to's? I don't see any mention of
acutally applying the tape.

"mike urig" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:34:30 -0800, pakdog wrote:

I'm connecting new boatrds to existing wall and ceiling boards.
Hopefully,
not a dumb question, but should I remove remaing old tape and retape
between the old and new boards or is there some better way?

Kevin

http://www.drywallschool.com/protips.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Marvel

"John F." wrote in message
I went to this drywall school web site.......am I missing something in the
sections on butt and recessed joint how to's? I don't see any mention of
acutally applying the tape.

"mike urig" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:34:30 -0800, pakdog wrote:

I'm connecting new boatrds to existing wall and ceiling boards.
Hopefully,
not a dumb question, but should I remove remaing old tape and retape
between the old and new boards or is there some better way?

Kevin

http://www.drywallschool.com/protips.htm

When you apply the tape if you use fiberglass it is easier but the most
important thing is, put a coat of mud on it cut the edges then wipe it down
smooth leave it to dry after three coats it will look good, do not leave any
edges or it will be a sanding nightmare.
Oh Yea do not crush the edges with a mallett that was a joke.
I'm repeating it...
put your tape on
apply a uniform coat of mud along the joint
cut the edges off both sides of the mud wiping the excess back in your pan,
then
pull your knife along the joint and wipe it smooth
let it dry
do two more coats same way
wipe it tight every time.
when it's ready to sand you will only need brush it down a bit
I have a tutorial on wall repair that might help.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

John F. wrote:
I went to this drywall school web site.......am I missing something in the
sections on butt and recessed joint how to's? I don't see any mention of
acutally applying the tape.

The section on 1st coat for butt joints shows the tape in the diagram.

drywall taping tips? [email protected] Home Repair 5 March 23rd 06 06:07 AM
Drywall taping help Amun Home Repair 3 September 23rd 05 09:22 PM
How to redo drywall taping on garage ceiling?? Ron Home Repair 8 November 26th 03 01:29 PM
How to do drywall taping without sanding? Tom J Home Ownership 1 July 29th 03 03:58 PM
How to do drywall taping without sanding? Eric Ryder Home Ownership 2 July 29th 03 12:30 AM