Posted to alt.home.repair
pakdog

Default Taping Drywall

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:23:52 -0800, Sev wrote:

You have to re-tape. Tip- if you are connecting tapered edges of new
sheetrock to cut/ untapered edges, taper the old edges by crushing them a
little with a hammer/ mallet. This way, when you add mud and tape, you
will be filling a gap, rather than building a bulge. You will be doing
that anyway with extra coats, but easier to feather it out if you don't
overdo it at the outset.

I'll taper and then tape them. It's my first major sheetrock job so I'm
learning as I go though I watched a pro doing it once. Just didn't catch him
while he was taping. How bad is it to have 1/4" to 1/2" gaps by light
switches and outlets? I measured twice and still had to cut three times to
fit.

Thx,
Kevin