Posted to alt.home.repair
Marvel

Default Taping Drywall

"John F." wrote in message
I went to this drywall school web site.......am I missing something in the
sections on butt and recessed joint how to's? I don't see any mention of
acutally applying the tape.

"mike urig" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:34:30 -0800, pakdog wrote:

I'm connecting new boatrds to existing wall and ceiling boards.
Hopefully,
not a dumb question, but should I remove remaing old tape and retape
between the old and new boards or is there some better way?

Kevin

http://www.drywallschool.com/protips.htm

When you apply the tape if you use fiberglass it is easier but the most
important thing is, put a coat of mud on it cut the edges then wipe it down
smooth leave it to dry after three coats it will look good, do not leave any
edges or it will be a sanding nightmare.
Oh Yea do not crush the edges with a mallett that was a joke.
I'm repeating it...
put your tape on
apply a uniform coat of mud along the joint
cut the edges off both sides of the mud wiping the excess back in your pan,
then
pull your knife along the joint and wipe it smooth
let it dry
do two more coats same way
wipe it tight every time.
when it's ready to sand you will only need brush it down a bit
I have a tutorial on wall repair that might help.