Posted to alt.home.repair
blumissy

Default odor in house

We have an unknown odor in our house and it is really driving us crazy.
It smells like something has dead. We thought it would eventually go
away. It has been eight months and the smell is terrible. We have
been under the house and were unable to find anything. We have to use
candles to be able to sit at the computer for any amout of time. It's
not all over the house. It just seems to be in the area around the
computer. Is there any one out there that we could call that would
come and find or at least be able to tell us what it might be or where
it is coming from. We don't know what to do, but we need to be
something. We can't continue to live with this smell.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

This may sound odd, but perhaps something HAS died. I've seen photos
of multiple instances where mice have crawled into a computer and
gotten stuck (attracted to the cozy-warm interior I suppose). Just for
grins, you might open up the computer case and take a peek inside. If
that's all clear, it's also possible that a critter has died inside
your wall or something. Check nearby forced air ducts, check any
plumbing penetrations, check around outlet covers, etc. If it's really
bad and you can't find it, it may be worthwhile to actually try to put
a small hole in the wall where it's strongest and attempt to look
around inside with a small mirror and a flashlight.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Try the fittings that hold your light bulbs, sometimes the plastic
"rots" through being heated up by the bulb and then cooling down again.

I had a similar problem and thought it was the sewers as the smell was
like dead fish.

It may sound odd but you have nothing to lose by just smelling the
fitting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Try a pet oder remover like http://www.urinegone.com/?cid=162863. While it
may not be from a pet, if the smell is distinctly organic, and resembles
urine, a product like this or similar might help.

You might also call exterminators or http://www.servpro.com/ and ask if they
have a way to find dead animals in the walls (like a trained dog)

"blumissy" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have an unknown odor in our house and it is really driving us crazy.
It smells like something has dead. We thought it would eventually go
away. It has been eight months and the smell is terrible. We have
been under the house and were unable to find anything. We have to use
candles to be able to sit at the computer for any amout of time. It's
not all over the house. It just seems to be in the area around the
computer. Is there any one out there that we could call that would
come and find or at least be able to tell us what it might be or where
it is coming from. We don't know what to do, but we need to be
something. We can't continue to live with this smell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

borrow a friends dog, they will show you where the action is

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

First of all if the smell has been there for 8 months, its NOT a mouse, It
may very well be something larger like a opposum, raccoon, are you missing a
cat?

A dog will help locate the area of the smell.

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Does it smell like a sewer, toilet wax rings can go bad , sink , tub,
floor drain traps can dry up, all bringing in sewer gas. Pour water in
all drains and see if its the toilet. My toilet did not leak water, but
gas was comming in. A dead animal smell would be gone in 1-2 months.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jerry G.

I have seen where a critter has died somewhere in the house. It is possible
that they can go between the floor space, or even the walls. This can be a
problem for a while.

--

Jerry G.
======

"blumissy" wrote in message
oups.com...
We have an unknown odor in our house and it is really driving us crazy.
It smells like something has dead. We thought it would eventually go
away. It has been eight months and the smell is terrible. We have
been under the house and were unable to find anything. We have to use
candles to be able to sit at the computer for any amout of time. It's
not all over the house. It just seems to be in the area around the
computer. Is there any one out there that we could call that would
come and find or at least be able to tell us what it might be or where
it is coming from. We don't know what to do, but we need to be
something. We can't continue to live with this smell.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

blumissy wrote:
We have an unknown odor in our house and it is really driving us crazy.
It smells like something has dead. We thought it would eventually go
away. It has been eight months and the smell is terrible. We have
been under the house and were unable to find anything. We have to use
candles to be able to sit at the computer for any amout of time. It's
not all over the house. It just seems to be in the area around the
computer. Is there any one out there that we could call that would
come and find or at least be able to tell us what it might be or where
it is coming from. We don't know what to do, but we need to be
something. We can't continue to live with this smell.

What area of the house is the computer located? Close to any vents,
ducts, pipes, plumbing? Got natural or bottled gas? Basement or
crawlspace? One story?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On 28 Mar 2006 08:17:45 -0800, "blumissy"
wrote:

We have an unknown odor in our house and it is really driving us crazy.
It smells like something has dead. We thought it would eventually go
away. It has been eight months and the smell is terrible. We have
been under the house and were unable to find anything. We have to use
candles to be able to sit at the computer for any amout of time. It's
not all over the house. It just seems to be in the area around the
computer. Is there any one out there that we could call that would
come and find or at least be able to tell us what it might be or where
it is coming from. We don't know what to do, but we need to be
something. We can't continue to live with this smell.

Rule out big snakes, since you were under the house .....

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

House sale lynd UK diy 14 March 11th 06 06:40 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
Contacting contractor to buy our house? (Long) Cina Home Ownership 4 March 4th 04 04:31 AM
House Moisture JAG Home Repair 6 August 29th 03 06:53 PM