Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Muderick

Default compact fluorescent in power limited fixtures

I have a ceiling fan in my bedroom that has a 60-watt max. light socket.
The globe that goes over the socket is long gone. A 60 watt bulb hardly
provides enough light. Can I put in a 55 watt cfl that is equivalent to 150
watts? I also read that the fan's vibration can shorten the life of the
bulb. Comment?
tia.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Mike Muderick wrote:
I have a ceiling fan in my bedroom that has a 60-watt max. light
socket.
The globe that goes over the socket is long gone. A 60 watt bulb
hardly provides enough light. Can I put in a 55 watt cfl that is
equivalent to 150 watts? I also read that the fan's vibration can
shorten the life of the bulb. Comment?
tia.

I have no solid information but I have read that CF are recommended for
areas where vibration may be a problem. I put some in my garage door
openers and now a year later they are still going strong.

You should be able to use a CF there, but be sure the ones are are using
are OK for the base up, base down bases sideways or whatever position it
will be in when in use. You may see it on the packaging or sometimes only
one the lamp base.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sev

Sure you can, but if the fan is really vibrating, might be time to just
replace the whole thing. But if you're not ready to do that just yet,
go ahead and screw in the bulb. I understand it's a fairly easy job,
though rumor has it that it sometimes takes multitudes to complete the
task

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

we put in all sizes up to 42 watt compact flourescents in uncovered
fixtures and fans. we have experienced early burnout wherever even
partial covering of the ventilation slots occurs, such as:
glass ceiling fan light bulp open covers; bathroom vanity where metal
cuff encloses bulb bases; porch lights outdoors but under roof.

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

we put up to 5 compact flourescents into our multi-bulb ceiling fans.

Posted to alt.home.repair
yourname

Mike Muderick wrote:
I have a ceiling fan in my bedroom that has a 60-watt max. light socket.
The globe that goes over the socket is long gone. A 60 watt bulb hardly
provides enough light. Can I put in a 55 watt cfl that is equivalent to 150
watts? I also read that the fan's vibration can shorten the life of the
bulb. Comment?
tia.

Try getting a camcorder with a lower recording light level, no way you
need a 150 watts in the bedroom......