Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Residential service specs

Does anyone know the local particulars for doing a single family residential
overhead service upgrade in Santa Cruz, Ca.?

tia, rbm

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Does anyone know the local particulars for doing a single family

residential
overhead service upgrade in Santa Cruz, Ca.?

tia, rbm

It's been a long time since I did any work in California RB. All I can tell
is that they have more codes than any other state that I know of. Seismic,
handicap, sound are just some of the codes that you need to be aware. They
also have an energy code. I think it is called Title 24. You need to
submit load schedules with your applications and drawings. Each
municipality also has their own regulations. I can't remember if a
homeowner is permitted to do work on his or her own house.

Check out this site: http://www.ci.santa-cruz.ca.us/pl/index.html

Are you moving to the west coast?

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

No John, I'm perfectly happy in NY. I have a sister that just bought a house
out there, and my dad, who's almost 80 is going out to upgrade her service.
He's been a licensed electrician since he was 20, but I'm afraid he'll find
something like the meter pan has to be supplied by the utility company or
some other such thing that would hold him up. Apparently they allow the home
owner to file and do their own work, but like you indicated, if he has to
hire a seismologist or some other silly thing, he's not going to be to happy

Thanks, Roy

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

I don't know if it applies in your sister's case, but it is not unusual to
have the main service distribution panel and the electric meter combined in
one outdoor unit. It was always such a pain to run a new circuit from an
electrical panel that was located on the outside wall.

I'm glad my father finally stopped doing electrical work at age 79. I
worried about him climbing ladders.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
SQLit

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Does anyone know the local particulars for doing a single family

residential
overhead service upgrade in Santa Cruz, Ca.?

tia, rbm

Call the building department. Call local contractors, get lots of prices.
See what the pros in your location are recommending. Your local authority
may have regulations that are unattractive for you.
I know one authority that trys to force everyone that does a service up
grade into a complete wiring upgrade.

First do a load calculation, unless your adding loads then you may not need
a service upgrade. Unless of course your just dying to spend some money.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

My dad was never much for ladders, but he's always kept busy. I guess that's
how you get to be an octogenarian. He's more concerned that he'll get out
there and won't be able to work. He's also not going to have any of his own
tools with him. He'll probably be working with a pair of needle nose

..